As you've probably gleaned by now, our annual fundraising campaign at WHUS starts tomorrow, March 14th and runs through the following Sunday, March 22nd. Once again, we are calling upon the most wonderful WHUS listeners -- those who listen to "BG Cafe," of course -- to help us support the many costs associated with broadcasting at WHUS. Yes, we know these are not the greatest of financial times, but if you can help us out with a donation, we'll be extremely grateful. This year, the monies raised during Radiothon are being used to actually finish our music library. To read more about the library and its current state, click here.
Those of you who made pledges to WHUS last year have likely received in the past week a letter asking for donations. On the air last week, I suggested that you wait until our actual Radiothon to make a donation, as we have accumulated a dandy list of CDs to offer as "thank you gifts" for your pledge. While I won't list everything we have available, here's a sampling:
- Balsam Range - "Last Train To Kitty Hawk"
- Hunter Berry - "Wow Baby"
- Audie Blaylock & Redline - "Audie Blaylock & Redline"
- Dale Ann Bradley - "Catch Tomorrow"
- Michael Cleveland & Flamekeeper - "Leavin' Town"
- Daughters Of Bluegrass - "Bluegrass Bouquet"
- Gibson Brothers - "Iron & Diamonds"
- Rick Hayes - "Fly By Night"
- Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver - "Help Is On The Way"
- David Peterson - "Comin' On Strong"
- Seldom Scene - "SCENEchronized"
- Cody Shuler & Pine Mountain Railroad - "Pickin', Praisin' & Singin'"
- Junior Sisk & Ramblers Choice - "Blue Side Of The Blue Ridge"
- Steep Canyon Rangers - "Lovin' Pretty Women"
- Dan Tyminski - "Wheels"
- Doc Watson - "Best Of The Sugar Hill Years"
In addition, the fine folks at Rounder are allowing us to take pledges for the not-yet-released recording from Dailey & Vincent called "Brothers From Different Mothers." Special thanks to the the following labels and performers for donating CDs to us: Blue Circle Records, Compass Records, Rick Hayes, Mountain Home, David Peterson, Rebel, Rounder, Rural Rhythm, and Sugar Hill Records.
Generally, Radiothon lasts two weeks at WHUS, but at this point, we are unsure of whether or not the March 22nd show will be preempted for NCAA basketball tournament(s). So....this Sunday, March 15th, you'll have your best opportunity to make your pledge and help us out. Please do it, if you can.
UPDATE -- 3/14/2009 -- Information about Radiothon has been updated on the WHUS website. Included on that site is a complete list of what we have available for BG CDs for Radiothon. We hope you'll consider calling us on Sunday between 4PM & 7PM and make a pledge, if you can. Any amount is much appreciated, and the call is on us: 1-800-599-WHUS (9487). Thanks!