Another great musical presence left us April 26. George Jones, 81, died leaving us to consider the legacy he left behind. To many he was considered to be the greatest country music vocalist of all time.
We devoted a good portion of the show to the music of George Jones, and warmed up with some of his songs recorded by bluegrass artists Russell Moore & Sonya Isaacs, The Stanley Brothers, and Bob & Danny Paisley. The Grascals introduced George himself with the recitation from "Don't Tell Mama" from their second album. George represented himself for the remaining songs in his tribute.
George Jones funeral was a two-and-a-half hour affair at the Grand Ole Opry House open to the public on Thursday, May 2, and was a fitting tribute to this giant of a singer whose body of work could be considered the definition of real country music.
For a reading recommendation besides George Jones' autobiography released in 1996, there is a very enjoyable book released in 2011 about the making of the greatest country record of all time, "He Stopped Loving Her Today," written by Jack Isenhour. It is one of the few books that focuses more on the music than the personalities, although there is a good dose of each in the process of telling the story.
Elsewhere in the show we introduced a few tracks from the excellent new CD from Mickey Galyean and Cullen's Bridge, and other new songs from The Gibson Brothers, Dailey & Vincent, Feller & Hill, The Boxcars, Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver, Marty Raybon, Dale Pyatt, The Daughters of Bluegrass, Scott Brannon, Emily Kirsch, and Mountain Faith.
We also had local Nashville transplant Monty McClanahan in the studio providing information about an upcoming performance of The Kropp Dusters, a group made up of past members of Northern Lights as well as Monty. Of course we played some of Monty's songs (with the late Randy Howard on fiddle) and a Northern Lights song to get in the mood.
Thanks for listening. Be sure to tune in next Sunday when Amy will make the banjos and fiddles ring.
George Jones tribute in bold green.
- Fire On The Mountain / Michael Cleveland / Sawing On The "C" String / Self-released
- Bell Of The Ball / Cullen's Bridge / Rollin' With Tradition / Self-released
- I Saw Your Face In The Moon / Danny Paisley & The Southern Grass / Road Into Town / Patuxent
- The Mountains My Baby And Me / The Grass Cats / The Mountains My Baby And Me / New Time
- Buy A Ring, Find A Preacher / The Gibson Brothers / They Called It Music / Compass
- Big Blue Roses / Feller & Hill and the Bluegrass Buckaroos / self-titled / Blue Circle
- You Took All The Ramblin' Out Of Me / The Boxcars / It's Just A Road / Mountain Home
- It's Hard To Be Forgotten / Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver / Roads Well Traveled / Mountain Home
- Back To Jackson County / Dailey & Vincent / Brothers Of The Highway / Rounder
- Golden Ring / Russell Moore & IIIrd Tyme Out w.Sonya Isaacs / Bluegrassed / Cracker Barrel
- The Window Up Above / The Stanley Brothers / The Early Starday King Years 1958-1961 / King
- Color Of The Blues / Bob Paisley & The Southern Grass / Color Of The Blues / Strictly Country
- Don't Tell Mama / The Grascals feat. George Jones / Long List Of Heartaches / Rounder
- Why Baby Why (1955) / George Jones / 50 Years Of Hits / Bandit
- White Lightning (1959) / George Jones / 50 Years Of Hits / Bandit
- She Thinks I Still Care (1962) / George Jones / 50 Years Of Hits / Bandit
- The Race Is On (1964) / George Jones / 50 Years Of Hits / Bandit
- We Must Have Been Out Of Our Minds (1965) / George Jones and Melba Montgomery / 50 Years Of Hits / Bandit
- Take Me (1971) / George Jones and Tammy Wynette / 50 Years Of Hits / Bandit
- The Grand Tour (1974) / George Jones / 50 Years Of Hits / Bandit
- We're Gonna Hold On / George Jones and Tammy Wynette / Duets / Opry Music
- Who's Gonna Fill Their Shoes (1985) / George Jones / 50 Years Of Hits / Bandit
- He Stopped Loving Her Today (1980) / George Jones / 50 Years Of Hits / Bandit
- It's Gonna Be A Beautiful Day / Wayne Taylor & Appaloosa / It's Gonna Be A Beautiful Day / Raincoe
- Carolina / Monty McClanahan / The Road Less Traveled / Self-released
- King Of California / Northern Lights / One Day / Fifty Fifty
- Walk Away / Monty McClanahan / The Road Less Traveled / Self-released
- That Janie Baker / Marty Raybon & Full Circle / The Back Forty / Rural Rhythm
- Lonely River / Cullen's Bridge / Rollin' With Tradition / Self-released
- Tennessee Stud / Ricky Skaggs and Kentucky Thunder / Music To My Ears / Skaggs Family
- When You Get To Asheville / Steve Martin, Edie Brickell / Love Has Come For You / Rounder
- Run Secretariat Run / Dale Pyatt / Dale Pyatt / Self-released
- The Darker The Night, The Better I See / The Gibson Brothers / They Called It Music / Compass
- Fare Thee Well / Kathy Kallick Band / Time / Live Oak
- Never Can Forgive 'Til I Forget / The Daughters of Bluegrass (Michelle Nixon) / Pickin' Like A Girl / Blue Circle
- Amazing Grace / George Jones / 50 Years Of Hits / Bandit
- Row By Row / Balsam Range / Papertown / Mountain Home
- I'll Fly Away / Darlene & Reflections Of Bluegrass / If It Ain't Love / Self-released
- Wings Of Angels / The Stanley Brothers / A Clinch Mountain Sunday / Harmony
- Drinking From The Fountain / Mickey Galyean & Cullen's Bridge / Rollin' With Tradition / Self-released
- Mountain Church / Scott Brannon / Your Old Standby / Patuxent
- Living Water / Mountain Faith / Battlefield / Pisgah Ridge
- I'm Gonna Have A Little Talk / Emily Kirsch / Just Another Memory / Rabbits Foot
- See God's Ark A Movin' / The Johnson Mountain Boys / Blue Diamond / Rounder
- When Heaven Comes Down / Taylors Grove / Keep On The Sunny Side / Fishtraks
- Walking In A Dream / Fred Etheridge, Nick Anderson, Mark Doyle / Pickin' And Singin' / Self-released