|The title of this 1993 Turquoise release seems especially|
appropriate now that the Bluegrass Patriots have disbanded.
One more special recording project we were able to emphasize today comes to us courtesy of someone who has been a great friend of WHUS and the BG Cafe, in particular -- our former show producer, Myrna Riquier. Myrna has put together a CD of songs she has written, and they have been recorded as a demo by Justin Carbone and Troy Engel. The resulting CD is very good, and we'll be playing more from it in future weeks.
As usual, we tried to make note of a few BG folks who celebrate birthdays this week, including Larry Stephenson (born 10/24/1956) and Joe Mullins (born 10/27/1965). Two other birthdays stood out this week: those of New England Bluegrass Pioneer Fred Pike -- a tremendous banjo and guitar picker who grew up in northeastern CT -- and the elder, banjo-picking half of the Gibson Brothers, Eric Gibson, who turns 41 today.
Hope you enjoyed something you heard on the show today, and that you'll be sure to join Jim next Sunday for another edition of the BG Cafe!
- Katy Hill / Del McCoury Band / RockyGrass / Blue Planet
- Golden Leaves / Acoustic Blue / This Is Now / Self-Produced
- Leaves Mustn't Fall / Dan Paisley & the Southern Grass / The Tradition Continues / Brandywine
- Leaves That Are Green / Union Springs / Next Train Headed South / Copper Creek
- When The Golden Leaves Begin To Fall / Audie Blaylock & Redline / I'm Going Back To Old Kentucky / Rural Rhythm
- Dreams About The Hills Of Home / Bluegrass Patriots / E Pluribus Bluegrass / Red Feather
- I Can't Keep You In Love With Me / The Expedition Show / The Expedition Show / Mountain Fever Records
- Trolley Days / Thomas Porter & Copper River Band / Trolley Days / Self-Produced
- Buck Creek Gal / Johnny Warren & Charlie Cushman / A Tribute To Fiddlin' Paul Warren / Self-Produced
- Wave Goodbye / Bluegrass Patriots / Springtime In The Rockies / Copper Creek
- Maybe You Will Change Your Mind / Reno & Smiley / Early Years, 1951-1959 / Gusto
- Gone Long Gone / Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver / Drive Time / Mountain Home
- Don't Say Goodbye If You Love Me / Bill Harrell with Jim McReynolds / Bill Harrell & Friends / Rebel
- Apple Jack / Pam Gadd with Dolly Parton / Benefit Of Doubt / Home Sweet Highway Productions
- Dixie / Gibson Brothers / Help My Brother / Compass Records
- Final Farewell / Chris Jones & the Night Drivers / New Cuts Of Bluegrass, Volume 4 / no label
- Grandfather's Clock / Fred Pike, Bill Rawlings & the Twin River Boys / Authentic Bluegrass Folk Music / Osage
- Rambler's Call / Joe Mullins & the Radio Ramblers / Rambler's Call / Rebel
- I'll Never Go Back / Joe Mullins with Doyle Lawson / Hymns From The Hills / Rebel
- Blackberry Blossom / Fred Pike, Sam Tidwell & the Kennebec Valley Boys / The Last Log Drive / Revonah
- Give This Message To Your Heart / Larry Stephenson with Dailey & Vincent / 20th Anniversary / Pinecastle
- Picker's Blues / Gibson Brothers / Iron & Diamonds / Sugar Hill
- When You Are Lonely / Bill Monroe & His Blue Grass Boys / The Essential Bill Monroe & His Blue Grass Boys / Columbia
- My Cabin In Caroline / Lester Flatt & Earl Scruggs / The Complete Mercury Recordings / Mercury
- Corriella / Justin Carbone & Troy Engel / Momma's Flowers : My Bluegrass Collection By Myrna D. Riquier / Self-Produced
- On And On / David Grisman with Jerry Garcia, Red Allen, Herb Pedersen, Jimmy Buchanan, Jim Kerwin / Dawg Plays Big Mon : Happy Birthday Bill Monroe / Acoustic Disc
- Pretty Little Girl From Galax / Russell Moore & IIIrd Tyme Out / Prime Tyme / Rural Rhythm