Keeping in the festive, celebratory mode, there were a couple of significant folks in the music world who marked their birthdays this past week, so we put together a couple of different sets to observe those special days. The show opened with four songs which have come from the very prolific pen of Bob Dylan, who turned 70 on May 24th. Granted, Dylan IS NOT a BG performer by any stretch of the imagination, but his songs have been appreciated and covered in many different genres, including Bluegrass. While we could have played more Dylan tunes, we limited ourselves to just four from the Seldom Scene, the Hillmen (featuring Vern Gosdin), Earl Scruggs, and the Country Gentlemen. (And for the record -- no pun intended -- Bob Dylan has recorded some BG, as he joined none other than Ralph Stanley on Ralph's double CD from 1998, "Clinch Mountain Country.")
Two more folks who celebrated birthdays this past week have closer ties to the BG world. It's really not very unusual to pick up a new BG CD these days and find at least one tune written or co-written by Tom T. Hall and/or his wife, Miss Dixie Hall. The Halls both celebrated birthdays this week -- Tom T. turning 75 on May 25th and Miss Dixie celebrating her own birthday on May 26th. While it would be very easy to fill the entire three hours of the program with music written or co-written by the Halls, we included seven tunes in this set from performers like Charlie Sizemore, Longview, Michael Cleveland & Flamekeeper, Linda Lay & Sammy Shelor, Big Country Bluegrass, the Crowe Brothers, and Tom T. Hall himself.
On a personal note, my own brother, Dave (a/k/a "Tex") Orlomoski celebrated his birthday today, so I couldn't NOT play a tune or two he sang with the Bear Bridge Band.
Memorial Day tunes were a must, of course. Sometimes, it seems like folks forget that the holiday is about so much more than just picnics and big sales at the mall. It's extremely important to remember those soldiers who've died -- and who continue to make that supreme sacrifice -- for our country and for all of us. There are many songs which tell the story of soldiers who never made it home -- we made sure to play a few of those tunes today.
Be sure to join Jim next Sunday afternoon, and if you're going to the Strawberry Park Bluegrass Festival in Preston, CT, you may be able to see him there doing some MC work. Be sure to say howdy. Also, if you're one of the millions with a Facebook account, we hope you'll take a look at our pretty new Facebook page and "like" it. You can find us by looking for "WHUS Bluegrass Cafe."
Have a great week!
REQUESTS ARE RED.
- Katy Hill / Del McCoury Band / RockyGrass / Blue Planet
- Only A Hobo / Seldom Scene / Winterhawk Scholarship Album / Gordo [Bob Dylan]
- Fare Thee Well / The Hillmen / The Hillmen / Sugar HIll [Bob Dylan]
- Nashville Skyline Rag / Earl Scruggs / The Essential Earl Scruggs / Columbia Legacy [Bob Dylan]
- Walkin' Down The Line / Country Gentlemen / The Award Winning Country Gentlemen / Rebel [Bob Dylan]
- Are You Missing Me / Jim & Jesse / First Sounds: The Capitol Years / Capitol
- Get A Little Dirt On Your Hands / Tony Holt & the Wildwood Valley Boys / Lost Highways & Treasured Memories / Old Heritage Records
- I'll Take Love / Dale Ann Bradley with Alison Krauss & Steve Gulley / I'll Take Love: From The Pen Of Louisa Branscomb / Compass Records
- The Grey Ghost / Bill Emerson / Eclipse / Rural Rhythm
- I Was Left On The Street / McCoury Brothers / The McCoury Brothers / Rounder
- The Year That Clayton Delaney Died / Charlie Sizemore / The Story Is...The Songs Of Tom T. Hall / Rebel
- Lessons In Stone / Longview / Lessons In Stone / Rebel
- I'm Gonna Ride That Steamboat / Michael Cleveland & Flamekeeper / Fired Up / Rounder
- Blow Out The Candle, Laura / Linda Lay & Sammy Shelor / Taking The Crooked Road Home / Virginia Folk Life
- The Boys In Hats And Ties / Big Country Bluegrass / The Boys In Hats And Ties / Rebel
- Holdin' On When You've Let Go / Crowe Brothers / Brothers-n-Harmony / Rural Rhythm
- Leaving Baker County / Tom T. Hall / Tom T. Hall Sings Miss Dixie & Tom T. / Blue Circle Records
- I Got A Letter / Bear Bridge Band / One More Ride / Open Road
- I've Lived A Lot In My Time / Dry Branch Fire Squad / Just For The Record / Rounder
- Pray For The Boys / Lester Flatt & Earl Scruggs / Selected Cuts, 1952-1955 / JSP Records
- Anywhere Is Home Again / Volume Five /
/ Mountain Fever Records
- Long Haul Trucker's Blues / New River Line / I'm Moving On / Kindred Records
- Runaround / Russ Carson / Last Chance / Patuxent Music
- Loneliness And Desperation / Chris Thile & Michael Daves / Sleep With One Eye Open / Nonesuch Records
- Folsom Prison Blues / Scott Anderson / Tales From The Swamp / Self-Produced
- Talk To Me / Gibson Brothers with Claire Lynch / Help My Brother / Compass Records
- One Car Funeral / Gibson Brothers / Help My Brother / Compass Records
- Legend Of The Rebel Soldier / Country Gentlemen / Live In Japan / Rebel
- Purple Heart / Red Allen & the Kentuckians / Keep On Going / Rebel
- Robe Of White / Charlie Louvin / The Battles Rage On / True North Records
- With Love From Normandy / Mark "Brink" Brinkman / On The Brink Of A Dream / Self-Produced
- More Than A Name On A Wall / Dailey & Vincent / Dailey & Vincent / Rounder
- There's A Star Spangled Banner Waving Somewhere / Osborne Brothers / Hyden / Pinecastle
- All Because Of You / Sierra Hull / Daybreak / Rounder
- Eager Weed / Hagar's Mountain Boys / Where's The Lonesome / Mountain Fever Records
- Gone At Last / Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver / Drive Time / Mountain Home
- Three Ways Of Knowing / Allerton & Alton / Black, White & Bluegrass / Bear Family
- I've Been All Around This World / David Davis & the Warrior River Boys / Two Dimes And A Nickel / Rebel
- Do You Wrong Kind Of Girl / Terry Baucom with Jamie Dailey & Lou Reid / In A Groove / John Boy & Billy, Inc.
- I'm On A Journey / Bear Bridge Band / One More Ride / Open Road
- The Power Up Above / Edgar Loudermilk / Roads Travelled / Mountain Fever Records
- Gathering Flowers For The Master's Bouquet / Stanley Brothers / The Stanley Brothers & the Clinch Mountain Boys, 1949-52 / Bear Family
- My Lord's Been A Walkin' / Spinney Brothers / Here At The Cross / Self-Produced
- Bouquet In Heaven / David Peterson & 1946 / David Peterson & 1946 / Self-Produced
- He Said If I Be Lifted Up / Johnson Mountain Boys / Let The Whole World Talk / Rounder
- Jesus Is Whispering Now / Whetstone Run / Angels Rejoice / Strictly Country
- Lord Lead Me On / Audie Blaylock & Redline / I'm Going Back To Old Kentucky / Rural Rhythm
- You'll Be Rewarded Over There / Joe Val & the New England Bluegrass Boys / One Morning In May / Rounder
- Reveille Time In Heaven / Mac Wiseman / Bluegrass Hits And Heartsongs / Rebel
- Military Five String / Reno & Smiley / Sweethearts In Heaven / Bear Family