We were delighted to offer some outstanding musical ways of saying thanks for your pledges today. While the most popular choices seemed to be the most recent recording by the ever-popular Gibson Brothers and the brand-spanking-new CD from Steve Martin & the Steep Canyon Rangers, we are very grateful to all of the record labels for offering us some top-notch recordings for our listeners. Special thanks to Ty Gilpin of Mountain Home and Mark Hodges of Mountain Fever, as well as Sammy Passamano from Rural Rhythm, Karl Cooler of Mountain Home Recordings, and Tom Mindte of Patuxent Music.
For the second year in a row, each person who makes a pledge to WHUS and the BG Cafe during Radiothon will also be entered into a drawing for which the prize will be two books: one book is Richard D. Smith's biography of Bill Monroe, Can't You Hear Me Callin' : The Life Of Bill Monroe, Father of Bluegrass. In this year that marks the 100th birthday of the Father of Bluegrass, this seems like an appropriate read. The second book is a photo book, filled with pictures taken by the Boston-area photographer, Henry Horenstein titled, Honky Tonk : Portraits of Country Music, 1972-1981. Mr. Horenstein shot many an album cover for Rounder Records in their early years, and those photos and more are included in this fine book. Some of the BG folks pictured include the cover subject, Don Stover, Lester Flatt, Ralph Stanley, Curley Ray Cline, and - my personal favorites - the Johnson Mountain Boys. The drawing for these two books will be held at the conclusion of Radiothon -- so give us a call on March 27th, and good luck!
The playlist today consisted entirely of music that was available for premiums. Even though there was a lot more talk than music from Jim and me, we appreciate your patience, and we hope to be with you again next Sunday for Week #2 of Radiothon in a (we hope) non-sports preempted radio show. We'll see how it goes...
In the meantime, thanks again!!
- The Nights Are So Long / Michael Cleveland & Flamekeeper / Fired Up / Rounder
- Help My Brother / Gibson Brothers / Help My Brother / Compass Records
- You Can Take Your Time / The Boxcars / The Boxcars / Mountain Home
- Yessir! / Jessie Baker / Yessir! / Patuxent Music
- Jubilation Day / Steve Martin & the Steep Canyon Rangers / Rare Bird Alert / Rounder
- You Left Me Alone / Sam Bush / Circles Around Me / Sugar Hill
- Bombshell / Sierra Hull / Daybreak / Rounder
- No Vacancy / Valerie Smith / Blame It On The Bluegrass / Bell Buckle Records
- Bad News For The Devil / John Miller / Look To The Light: Songs Of Faith From The Pen Of Rick Lang / Rural Rhythm Christian
- Prayer Bells Of Heaven / J.D. Crowe, Doyle Lawson, Paul Williams / Old Friends Get Together / Mountain Home
- Carolina Dreams / Edgar Loudermilk / Roads Travelled / Mountain Fever
- Ashes Of Love / No One You Know / Calm Before The Storm / Mountain Fever
- No Lawyers In Heaven / Charlie Sizemore / Heartache Looking For A Home / Rounder
- My Little Georgia Rose / Travis Tritt / Ricky Skaggs & Friends Sing The Songs Of Bill Monroe / Lyric Street Music
- Memory Of You / Balsam Range / Trains I Missed / Mountain Home
- Why Ask Why? / Steve Gulley & Tim Stafford / Dogwood Winter / Rural Rhythm
- Memories Cover Everything I Own / Johnson Mountain Boys / Let The Whole World Talk / Rounder
- Almost Home / Larry Sparks / Almost Home / Rounder
- Backroads And Little Towns / The Expedition Show / The Expedition Show / Mountain Fever
- The Yodelling Muleskinner Blues / Spinney Brothers / If I Were Your Brother / Self-Produced
- Make Him A Soldier / Whitstein Brothers / Songs Of The Louvin Brothers / Rounder
- Women Like To Slow Dance / Steve Martin & the Steep Canyon Rangers / Rare Bird Alert / Rounder