We devoted most of the first hour of the show to various groups over the past forty years that have featured Ricky Skaggs as a performer. Besides Ricky's numerous projects, we also featured Ralph Stanley, Emmylou Harris, David Grisman, and the group Boone Creek -- all of which featured Ricky either picking or singing, or both.
Ricky then joined us by phone for a delightful half-hour of a very candid discussion. Some of the interesting things discussed were the large quantity of home tapes that Ricky's dad Hobert made over the years (which still exist), the relationship between Ricky and his father, and the personal discussions Ricky had with his father about the direction of Ricky's career. He called his return to bluegrass in 1997 "the greatest decision I've ever made musically." It's not hard to see why Ricky's latest CD is titled "Songs My Dad Loved." Ricky also emphasized the importance of his Christian faith, and hoped he would be remembered for that before his music.
I hope to get an audio version of the interview posted in the near future.
We also had Deb Noble and Joe Mellet in the studio during the last hour promoting a concert this coming Saturday, Nov. 7, in Willimantic that features Sean Kershaw and the New Jack Ramblers, and bluegrass band Pine Creek opening. All the members of Pine Creek (including me) live in the listening area of WHUS and Bluegrass Cafe. I even got to pick a tune with Joe during his visit.
While our discussions with our on-air guests reduced the size of the playlist, we did manage to play some newer music from Billy Boone Smith, Jeff & Vida, Canucky Bluegrass Boys, Darin Aldridge & Brooke Justice, The Del McCoury Band, and Dailey & Vincent.
Marti and I will be back next week, and looking at the calendar it might be time to feature some songs for Veterans Day, so I'll see what I can do.
requests in blue
SONG TITLE / PERFORMER / ALBUM TITLE / LABEL
- Fire On The Mountain / Michael Cleveland / Sawing On The "C" String / Self-released
- I Ain't Broke (But I'm Badly Bent) / David Grisman with Ricky Skaggs / Hand Picked: 25 Years of Rounder Bluegrass / Rounder
- Country Boy / Ricky Skaggs / The High Notes / Cracker Barrel
- It's Mighty Dark To Travel / Ricky Skaggs & Kentucky Thunder / Honoring The Fathers Of Bluegrass / Skaggs Family
- Cry, Cry Darlin' / Ricky Skaggs featuring Dolly Parton / Ricky Skaggs & Friends / Lyric Street
- I'll Go With You / Darin Aldridge and Brooke Justice / I'll Go With You / Pinecastle
- Cold Wind / David Peterson & 1946 / David Peterson & 1946 / Self-released
- Keep My Love With You / Ralph Stanley & The Clinch Mountain Boys / Echoes Of The Stanley Brothers / Varese Sarabande
- Almost Right / Billy Boone Smith / Live From The Moose Lodge / Muddy Sunshine
- One Way Track / Boone Creek / One Way Track / Sugar Hill
- Head Over Heels / Boone Creek / One Way Track / Sugar Hill
- There's More Pretty Girls Than One / Ricky Skaggs & Tony Rice / Skaggs & Rice / Sugar Hill
- My Little Georgia Rose / Ricky Skaggs featuring Travis Tritt / Ricky Skaggs & Friends Songs of Bill Monroe / Lyric Street
- Boxcar Blues (Hello Sunshine) / Jeff & Vida / Selma Chalk / Rosebank
- Standin' Up / Canucky Bluegrass Boys / North To Ontario 2009 / Self-released
- Roses In The Snow / Emmylou Harris / Roses In The Snow / Warner Bros
- Pig In A Pen / Ricky Skaggs / Ancient Tones / Skaggs Family
- Get Up John / Ricky Skaggs & Kentucky Thunder / Live At The Charleston Music Hall / Skaggs Family
- Sinners, You Better Get Ready / Ricky Skaggs / Solo - Songs My Dad Loved / Skaggs Family
- City That Lies Foresquare / Ricky Skaggs / Solo - Songs My Dad Loved / Skaggs Family
- Take This Train And Ride / The Gillis Brothers / Live / Self-released
- Days of Grey and Black / Various Artists / Born Into Bluegrass - The Songs of Cullen Galyean / Mountain Roads
- When The Sheriff Comes To Town / Sean Kershaw / Coney Island Cowboy / Self-released
- Orphan Girl / Pine Creek / Live 2008 recording / Private
- The Golden Streets Of Glory / Dolly Parton / Box Set Sampler / RCA Nashville/Legacy
- Hello Lonely / The Del McCoury Band / Family Circle / McCoury Music
- Prayer Bells Of Heaven / Frosty Mountain Boys / Get In Line Brother / Rural Rhythm
- God's Not Dead / J. D. Jarvis / Get In Line Brother / Rural Rhythm
- Man In The Middle / Tony Trischka and Skyline / Angels Rejoiced / Strictly Country
- I've Found A Hiding Place / The Johnson Mountain Boys / Favorites / Rounder
- This World Is Not My Home / Ricky Skaggs / Solo - Songs My Dad Loved / Skaggs Family
- Who'll Sing For Me? / Audie Blaylock and Redline / Audie Blaylock and Redline / Rural Rhythm
- Joshua Fit The Battle Of Jericho / Dailey & Vincent / Singing From The Heart / Rounder
- Angels Rejoiced / Joe Val & The New England Bluegrass Boys / Angels Rejoiced / Strictly Country
- Take Your Shoes Off, Moses / Dan Tyminski, Dwight McCall / The Stanley Gospel Tradition / Doobie Shea
- The Promise / The Gillis Brothers / Sunshine In The Shadows / Hay Holler