There were no preemptions on this show, so we celebrated by playing three hours of what we wanted to hear, and sampled some new music as well.
|Monroe Crossing (MN)|
We had three big ticket giveaways for upcoming concerts in the area, so we played music from Monroe Crossing (concert 3/27 in South Windsor CT), Nitty Gritty Dirt Band (concert 3/29 in Hartford), and Rhonda Vincent (concert 4/11 in Hamden CT) as we gave away tickets for those shows. There will be more ticket giveaways coming, so stay tuned.
New music was represented by Johnny Warren & Charlie Cushman; The Gibson Brothers; Randall Hibbitts; Adkins & Loudermilk; Larry Gillis; Rachel Burge & Blue Dawning; Breaking Grass; Mountain Faith; Volume Five; The Spinney Brothers; and Cody Shuler.
Other goodies not yet off our recent-music list included songs from Larry Efaw and the Bluegrass Mountaineers; Alex Leach; The South Carolina Broadcasters; Michael Cleveland; Ben and Eric Marshall; Jackson & Stiltner; Junior Sisk; Windy Hill; Marteka and William; Windy Hill; and Tommy Edwards.
We loaded up the Heritage Corner and brought forth some legacy delights from Jimmy Martin; Bill Clifton; The Dillards; Bob Paisley; Don Stover; Tony Rice; early Karl Shiflett; Red Allen & Frank Wakefield; Monroe Fields, Jimmie Williams & Red Ellis; and The Lilly Brothers & Don Stover.
The delightful center of the Heritage Corner was filled by a complete "Basement Tape" segment of The Gillis Brothers recorded by Ray Davis in 1993.
We finished with a special treat. Since October 2010 I have closed my shows with "Walking In A Dream" performed by the late Fred Etheridge with Mark Doyle and Nick Anderson. For this show we played a solo piano version of the song performed by Mark Doyle just for Bluegrass Cafe.
Tune in next Sunday when Amy will make the banjos and fiddles ring, and give away more concert tickets.
- Larry Gillis / Crazy Russian / Swamp Folk / Tin Man
- Jimmy Martin and the Sunny Mountain Boys / Dog Bite Your Hide / 1954-1974 / Bear Family
- Ricky Skaggs and Kentucky Thunder / You Can't Hurt Ham / Music to My Ears / Skaggs Family
- Bill Clifton And His Dixie Mountain Boys / A Flower Blooming In The Wildwood / Bluegrass Historic Cuts Selected For Quality / JSP
- Michael Cleveland & Flamekeeper / Fiddlin' Joe / On Down The Line / Compass Records
- Tommy Brown and the County Line Grass / Lonesome Without You / Leaving This Town / Randm
- The Dillards / Banjo In The Hollow / Early Recordings - 1959 / Varèse Sarabande
- The South Carolina Broadcasters / Little Birdie / Short Time To Stay Here / Flaming Heart
- Monroe Crossing / Rocky Road Blues / Live From Silver Dollar City / Self-released
- Bob Paisley and the Southern Grass / Uncle Ned / Back To The Blue Ridge / Brandywine
- The Gillis Brothers / Instrumental, Nobody's Business, Standing Room Only, Your Worries & Troubles Are Mine, Pass Me Not / Radio Series Volume Seven / Wango
- Windy Hill / Just to See Who's in My Place / Lonesome Garbage Man / Self Released
- Ben and Eric Marshall / Just My Memory of You (feat. The Marshall Brothers and Highroad) / Grass Roots Project / Ben and Eric Marshall
- Adkins & Loudermilk / Georgia Mountain Man / Adkins & Loudermilk / Mountain Fever
- Rhonda Vincent / Only Me (featuring Willie Nelson) / Only Me / Upper Management
- Don Stover / Old Coon Dog / Live At Davis & Elkins College / White Oak
- Foggy Mountain Hilton / You're Gonna be Sorry Some Of These Days / Show Me the Way to Go Home / Patuxent
- Alex Leach / Mountain Heartache / Mountain Heartache / Self-released
- Jackson & Stiltner / Pinball Blues / Tribute To Bill Napier / Self Released
- The Gibson Brothers / I'm Troubled I'm Troubled / Brotherhood / Rounder
- Tony Rice / Church Street Blues / Church Street Blues / Rounder
- Larry Efaw and the Bluegrass Mountaineers / Our Darling's Gone / She Left Me Standing On a Mountain / Blue Circle
- Randall Hibbitts / Can't Take It Anymore / Traveler / Randall Hibbitts
- Marteka and William / Reuben / The Sounds Of A Tradition / Self-released
- Red Allen, Frank Wakefield and The Kentuckians / Sweet Sunny South / The WDON Recordings 1963 / Patuxent
- Nitty Gritty Dirt Band / Walkin' in the Sunshine / Welcome to Woody Creek / Dualtone
- Rachel Burge & Blue Dawning / Sisters of the Mountain / Rachel Burge & Blue Dawning / Mountain Fever
- Tommy Edwards / Devil's Tramping Ground / North Carolina History, Mystery, Lore & More / Salisbury Street
- The Spinney Brothers / My Music Comes From Bill / Tried & True / Mountain Fever
- Johnny Warren & Charlie Cushman / Back To Foggy Mountain / Purely Instrumental / Self-released
- Johnny Warren & Charlie Cushman / Peelin' Taters / Purely Instrumental / Self-released
- Karl Shiflett & Big Country Show / Six White Horses / Collectors Series Vol. 1 / Self-released
- Monroe Crossing / Nail That Catfish to a Tree / Live at Silver Dollar City / Self-released
- Breaking Grass / Raining In Virginia / Just As Strong / Mountain Fever
- Mountain Faith / Feelin' Blue / Blue / Mountain Fever
- Volume Five / King of California / Voices / Mountain Fever
- Jimmie Williams & Red Ellis / I've Won My Crown / Classic Bluegrass Gospel / B.A.C.M
- Cody Shuler / Sea of Galilee / Cody Shuler / Rural Rhythm
- Monroe Fields with Carl Sauceman and the Green Valley Boys / There's Only One Way To Heaven / 1950s-60s Broadcasts / Patuxent
- The Lilly Brothers & Don Stover / I'll Live On / What Will I Leave Behind / Rebel
- The South Carolina Broadcasters / River of Jordan / Can You Hear Me Now / Flaming Heart
- Junior Sisk & Ramblers Choice / Jesus Walked Upon the Water / Trouble Follows Me / Rebel
- Rhonda Vincent / Good News / Performs Songs From The House With The Red Light / Upper Management
- Mountain Heart / The Gospel Train / Road That Never Ends - The Live Album / Rural Rhythm
- Monroe Crossing / I Saw The Light / Joy Joy Joy / Self-released
- Mark Doyle / Walking In A Dream / private single / no label