With all the spurts preemptions going on at UCONN lately, it is a wonder we have a show at all. This week we managed to salvage an hour and 49 minutes out of the five hours we normally program along with Red Rooster Party.
It being the start of Daylight Savings Time, we played our perennial favorite about the day by Grandpa Jones after we kicked off the show with Doug Dillard's blazing "Hickory Hollow" -- a tune he dreamed! Doug, who died in 2012, was born March 6, 1937. That birthday was shared with Carl Sauceman (b.1922-d.1984) and Don Stover (b.1928-d.1996).
We carried on a significant musical tribute to Don Stover by including music Don performed for the field recorded Mountain Music Bluegrass Style (1959), a couple songs from his classic album Things In Life, several numbers from a solo performance Don did in 1985, and a requested number from The Lilly Brothers and Don Stover.
New music included fiddle instrumentals from Billy Hurt, Jr., a selection from Robert Earl Keen's new bluegrass album, The Gibson Brothers doing a York Brothers duet back-to-back with The York Brothers' own original version. (The Gibsons came out good on this.)
Other newer music on this show included songs from Larry Gillis, Ben and Eric Marshall (whom we may have introduced here to New England), The South Carolina Broadcasters, Windy Hill, Larry Sparks, Crowe-Lawson-Williams, The Easter Brothers, and Junior Sisk & Ramblers Choice.
We hope you were able to navigate the preemptions and find us when we were on the air. Amy will try again next Sunday to make the banjos and fiddles ring.
Artist / Song / Album / Label
- The Dillards / Hickory Hollow / Back Porch Bluegrass / Rhino / Elektra
- Grandpa Jones / Daylight Savings Time / An American Original / CMH Records
- Monroe Fields with Carl Sauceman and the Green Valley Boys / The Old Home Town / 1950s-60s Broadcasts / Patuxent
- Ben and Eric Marshall / Just as Sure as the Stars Are Above (feat. The Marshall Brothers and Highroad) / Grass Roots Project / Self-released
- Larry Gillis / Three Sheets in the Wind / Swamp Folk / Tin Man
- Billy Hurt, Jr. / Sally Ann Johnson / Fiddlin' Billy Hurt / Patuxent
- Don Reno & Red Smiley / Big Ball In Brooklyn / On Stage / Copper Creek
- Don Stover, Everett Lilly, Chubby Anthony / Bile 'em Cabbage Down / Mountain Music Bluegrass Style! / Smithsonian Folkways
- Don Stover / Valley of Peace / Things in Life / Rounder
- Don Stover / Old Rueben No. 1 / Things in Life / Rounder
- Don Stover / John Hardy / Live At Davis & Elkins College / White Oak
- Don Stover / Poor Ellen Smith / Live At Davis & Elkins College / White Oak
- Don Stover / You're Bound To Look Like A Monkey When You Grow Old / Live At Davis & Elkins College / White Oak
- Don Stover / Things In Life / Live At Davis & Elkins College / White Oak
- The Lilly Brothers & Don Stover / The Waves on the Sea / Bluegrass At the Roots, 1961 / Smithsonian Folkways
- The York Brothers / Long Gone / Long Time Gone / Ace
- The Gibson Brothers / Long Gone / Brotherhood / Rounder
- Billy Hurt, Jr. / Poca River Blues / Fiddlin' Billy Hurt / Patuxent
- Billy Hurt, Jr. / Old Jake Gillie / Fiddlin' Billy Hurt / Patuxent
- Billy Hurt, Jr. / Dance all Night With a Bottle in Your Hand / Fiddlin' Billy Hurt / Patuxent
- Larry Sparks with Bobby Osborne / Letter from My Darling / Lonesome And Then Some... / Rebel
- Windy Hill / Pinecone Banjo / Lonesome Garbage Man / Self Released
- Crowe, Lawson & Williams / My Walking Shoes / Standing Tall And Tough / Mountain Home
- Junior Sisk & Ramblers Choice / Honky-Tonked to Death / Trouble Follows Me / Rebel
- The South Carolina Broadcasters / Going up Home to Live in Green Pastures / Diamonds In The Rough / Flaming Heart
- Rhonda Vincent / When the Roll Is Called Up Yonder / Performs Songs From The House With The Red Light / Upper Management
- Robert Earl Keen / This World is Not My Home / Happy Prisoner: The Bluegrass Sessions / Dualtone
- The Easter Brothers / Let the Hallelujahs Roll / I'd Do It All Over Again / Pisgah Ridge
- Dan Paisley & the Southern Grass / Sweeping Through the Gates / The Tradition Continues / Brandywine
- Ralph Stanley / Two Coats (feat. Robert Plant) / Man of Constant Sorrow / Cracker Barrel
- Jimmie Williams & Red Ellis / A Place Upon a Mountain / Classic Bluegrass Gospel / B.A.C.M
- The Misty Mountain Boys / The Family Who Prays / Bluegrass Piedmont Style / Master Shield
- Chief Powatan & His Bluegrass Braves / Take Me In Your Lifeboat / Mountain Laurel Bluegrass Memories / Mountain Laurel
- Fred Etheridge with Nick Anderson & Mark Doyle / Walking in a Dream / Pickin' And Singin' / Self-released