Today's show was my first since the middle of October, so I always think it's fun -- and slightly challenging -- to go back on the air after a bit of an absence. The three hours seemed to fly by (for me, anyway), and we tried to fill 'em with a good bit of new music, songs from classic performers, and even a bit more.
Our special guest featured on the show was Gene White, Jr. -- the founder (and fiddler) for the regional band known as the Bluegrass Gospel Project. This group was originally brought together in 2001 to play a one-time-only, First Night event in Burlington, VT. Eleven years later, the band is still playing shows throughout New England, including a show at the Chaplin Congregational Church next Saturday, November 10th at 7PM. (If you'd like more information on the show, please call 860-455-9400). While the Bluegrass Gospel Project has released six records since they came together as a group, we included a good number of songs from their last two recordings: "The Blue Morpho" (2009) and "Shine" (2012). If you're in the neighborhood next Saturday evening, you might wish to take in the show -- perhaps we'll see you there?
Jim pretty well covered a few Halloween songs last Sunday, as well as one Bluegrass standard, of sorts, from the pen of the late Connie Gately (of the duo, Connie & Babe), who died on October 15th at the age of 83. However, I couldn't fight the urge to play a few more spooky ghost tunes post-Halloween, this time from the Country Gentlemen, the Seldom Scene, Del McCoury & the Dixie Pals, and Hot Rize. To honor Connie Gately, we played three songs he either wrote or co-wrote. Hope you enjoyed them.
We also briefly honored Country Music Hall of Famer, Bill Anderson who celebrated his 75th birthday this past week (born November 1, 1937). Anderson is also a terrific songwriter, and we played two BG versions of songs he'd written that were country hits in the 1960s for Connie Smith ("Cincinnati, Ohio") and Charlie Louvin ("I Don't Love You Anymore"). The versions we played were performed by the Osborne Brothers and Johnson Mountain Boys, respectively.
There was still time for a bit of new music, too, from a multitude of 2012 releases, some of which you may never have heard before. Among the titles were collections by Ricky Skaggs, Sweet Potato Pie, the Spinney Brothers, Chris Brashear, RI songwriter Dawn Kenney, the Lonesome River Band, the Sleepy Man Banjo Boys, Danny Paisley & the Southern Grass, Jeff Parker, the Kathy Kallick Band, Richard Bennett, American Drive, Balsam Range, Grasstowne, and Joe Mullins & the Radio Ramblers.
Be sure to tune in next week for another music-filled edition of the Bluegrass Cafe. We'll be looking for you...
Have a good week!
REQUESTS ARE RED.
- Katy Hill / Del McCoury Band / RockyGrass / Blue Planet
- Sugar Coated Love / Bill Monroe & His Blue Grass Boys / Bill Monroe & His Blue Grass Boys, 1950-1958 / JSP Records
- Eating Out Of Your Hand / Longview / Deep In The Mountains / Rounder
- Hey! Hey! Hey! / Stanley Brothers / Select Sides, 1959-1963 / JSP Records
- Loving You Too Well / Ricky Skaggs / Music To My Ears / Skaggs Family Records
- Bringing Mary Home / "Original" Country Gentlemen / Bluegrass: The World's Greatest Show / Sugar Hill
- I've Come To Take You Home / Seldom Scene / Like We Used To Be / Sugar Hill
- Eli Renfro / Del McCoury & the Dixie Pals / Classic Bluegrass / Rebel
- Footsteps So Near / Hot Rize / Traditional Ties / Sugar Hill
- Hey Lonesome / Bluegrass Album Band / The Bluegrass Compact Disc, Volume 2 / Rounder
- Roly Poly / Sweet Potato Pie / Brand New Day / Mountain Fever Records
- Rebels Ye Rest / Spinney Brothers / Memories / Mountain Fever Records
- Roll On Blues / Audie Blaylock & Redline / Audie Blaylock & Redline / Rural Rhythm [written by Connie Gately]
- The Lonely Years / Bear Bridge Band / Bear Essentials / Open Road [co-written by Connie Gately]
- Home Is Where The Heart Is / Connie & Babe & the Backwoods Boys / Hand-Picked / Rounder [written by Connie Gately]
- That's The Way Love Goes / Bluegrass Gospel Project / Shine / Vital Records
- Age / Bluegrass Gospel Project / The Blue Morpho / Vital Records
- Conversation with Gene White, Jr. of the Bluegrass Gospel Project
- Travel, Travel On / Bluegrass Gospel Project / Shine / Vital Records
- I Am A Pilgrim / Bluegrass Gospel Project / The Blue Morpho / Vital Records
- The Old Pueblo / Chris Brashear / Heart Of The Country / Dog Boy Records
- Reach High / Dawn Kenney / Sing Me Home / Self-Produced
- Harvest Time / Lonesome River Band / Chronology, Volume 3 / Rural Rhythm
- Shuckin' The Corn / Sleepy Man Banjo Boys / The Farthest Horizon / Self-Produced
- I Overlooked An Orchid / Danny Paisley & the Southern Grass / Road Into Town / Patuxent Music
- Let's Be Sweethearts Again / Jeff Parker with Dailey & Vincent / Go Parker! / Lonesome Day Records
- Old Red Mandolin / Kathy Kallick Band / Time / Live Oak Records
- Don Quixote / Richard Bennett / Last Train From Poor Valley / Lonesome Day Records
- No One Know / Pike Family & the Pine Hill Ranchers / To Warm And Comfort You / Rebel
- Everybody Wants To Go To Heaven / Bluegrass Gospel Project / The Blue Morpho / Vital Records
- Is It Too Late To Settle Down / American Drive / American Drive / Rural Rhythm
- Row By Row / Balsam Range / Papertown / Mountain Home
- This Old Guitar And Me / Grasstowne with Ronnie Bowman / Hot New Singles / Mountain Fever Records
- Cincinnati, Ohio / Osborne Brothers / Hillbilly Fever / CMH [written by Bill Anderson]
- I Don't Love You Anymore / Johnson Mountain Boys / Requests / Rounder [written by Bill Anderson]
- Old Roman Soldier / Spinney Brothers / Memories / Mountain Fever Records
- Springtime In Heaven / Reno & Smiley / Early Years, 1950-1959 / Gusto
- Moses, Set My People Free / Joe Mullins & the Radio Ramblers / They're Playing My Song / Rebel
- Far Side Banks Of Jordan / Beartracks / Together 'Til The End / AMT Records
- Paul And Silas / Country Gentlemen / Let The Light Shine Down / Rebel
- Gone Home / Gibson Brothers / Iron & Diamonds / Sugar Hill
- Lord Lift Me Up / Bluegrass Patriots / E Pluribus Bluegrass / Red Feather
- Get In Line Brother / Lester Flatt & Earl Scruggs / Foggy Mountain Gospel / Columbia
- On The Sea Of Life / Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver / Every Time I Feel The Spirit / Sugar Hill
- Black Mountain Blues / Johnson Mountain Boys / Requests / Rounder