|Even at an October 2008 show, the Gibsons |
were definitely entertaining.
|The Gibson Brothers perform at the September 27, 2012|
IBMA Awards (photo by Ted Lehmann)
Over the last several years at "BG Cafe," Eric has been our on-air guest numerous times -- no great surprise, really, if you consider how very popular the Gibson Brothers are in this part of the world. Since around 1994 (and probably even a bit earlier), the Gibsons have been playing at festivals all over New England, so this is a community that has had a long appreciation of the brother-style duet perfected by these brothers from Ellenburg Depot, NY. Now, it seems like the rest of the BG world has also become great appreciators of this fine band. Being in the Ryman Auditorium on September 27th when the Gibsons won two IBMA Awards -- both Gospel Recorded Performance of the Year with Ricky Skaggs for "Singing As We Rise" and the top prize of Entertainer of the Year -- was a real joy for this long-time Gibson listener. In fact, in an IBMA week filled with terrific moments, this was a definite highlight. Big congratulations to Eric, Leigh, Mike, Clayton, and Joe, and thanks to Eric for coming on the show once more to talk about how it feels to be a newly-minted Entertainer of the Year, as well as a few other topics.
If you'd like to read a bit more about the IBMA Awards, be sure to check out the Gibson Brothers as cover boys on the latest IBMA newsletter, International Bluegrass, or visit BG blogger Ted Lehmann's terrific post with photos taken during the IBMA Awards: http://www.tedlehmann.blogspot.com/2012/10/ibma-w-of-b-2012-awards.html
There were, of course, other great moments at IBMA, and we tried to shine a bit of a spotlight on a few of them, too. We heard music from IBMA Award winners Russell Moore & IIIrd Tyme Out (Russell took home his fifth Male Vocalist of the Year prize this year), as well as 5-time Female Vocalist of the Year, Dale Ann Bradley. The IBMA Awards this year were big for first-time winners, too, as Junior Sisk & Ramblers Choice took home prizes for both Album of the Year ("The Heart Of A Song" on Rebel Records), and Song of the Year for "A Far Cry From Lester And Earl." Another big, first-time winner was Joe Mullins & the Radio Ramblers, who were recognized as the Emerging Act of the Year. To that end, we shared a couple of tunes from their soon-to-be-released new Rebel Records recording, "They're Playing My Song."
IBMA is a lot more than just the awards show, of course. During the week, I got to see a good number of bands performing that I'd either never heard in person before, or just don't get to see too often. Several of them have new or newish material, too, so it worked out well to share it on the air on Sunday. To that end, we heard music from Eddie & Martha Adcock with Tom Gray, the Spinney Brothers, Mark Houser & Bluegrass Drive, Robin & Linda Williams, Breaking Grass, the Bankesters, the Darrell Webb Band, Karl Shiflett & Big Country Show, the Special Consensus, and NH/VT band, Hot Mustard. We also heard a song from a new recording from the Kathy Kallick Band, as well as a tune from a band that essentially is the New South minus J.D. Crowe: American Drive. This band (Rickey Wasson, Dwight McCall, Matt DeSpain, and Kyle Perkins of the New South, plus banjo picker Justin Jenkins) made its formal debut at IBMA, and the future looks promising, as American Drive's Rural Rhythm Records self-titled debut will be released on October 16th.
Many thanks to James and Cathy Ward for filling in for both Jim and I over the last two Sundays. Be sure to join them for more BG on WHUS, as their one-hour program called, "Bluegrass Rules" airs on Tuesday afternoons at 3PM. I hope you heard something you enjoyed on Sunday's show, and I hope you'll be sure to join me once again next Sunday for another music-packed edition of the "Bluegrass Cafe."
Have a great week!
REQUESTS ARE RED.
- Katy Hill / Del McCoury Band / RockyGrass / Blue Planet
- The Leaves That Are Green / J.D. Crowe & the New South / Celebration Of Life / Skaggs Family
- Leaves Mustn't Fall / Dan Paisley & the Southern Grass / The Tradition Continues / Brandywine
- Leaves In The Wind / Missy Werner Band / Three Kinds Of Lonesome / Self-Produced
- When The Golden Leaves Begin To Fall / Bill Monroe & His Blue Grass Boys / Bill Monroe & His Blue Grass Boys, 1950-1951 / JSP Records
- A Far Cry From Lester And Earl / Junior Sisk & Ramblers Choice / The Heart Of A Song / Rebel
- In Despair / Dale Ann Bradley / Somewhere South Of Crazy / Compass Records
- Big Muddy / Russell Moore & IIIrd Tyme Out / Drive Tyme / Rural Rhythm
- When The Snow Falls On My Foggy Mountain Home / Joe Mullins & the Radio Ramblers / They're Playing My Song / Rebel
- Old Memory / Gibson Brothers Bluegrass Band / Underneath A Harvest Moon / Big Elm Records
- Just Wondering Why / Jim & Jesse / Jim & Jesse, 1952-1955 / Bear Family
- Bear Bridge Chimes / Bear Bridge Band / Bear Essentials / Open Road
- Anywhere Is Home Again / Volume Five / Children Of The Mountain / Mountain Fever Records
- Reflections Of Love / Paul Adkins & the Borderline Band / Reflections Of Love / Rebel
- This Morning At Nine / Eddie & Martha Adcock with Tom Gray / Many A Mile / Patuxent Music
- Frozen In Time / Gibson Brothers / Help My Brother / Compass Records
- Singing As We Rise / Gibson Brothers with Ricky Skaggs / Help My Brother / Compass Records
- Ring The Bell / Gibson Brothers / Ring The Bell / Compass Records
- ***Conversation with Eric Gibson of the Gibson Brothers***
- One Car Funeral / Gibson Brothers / Help My Brother / Compass Records
- A Blue Million Tears / Joe Mullins & the Radio Ramblers / They're Playing My Song / Rebel
- Hard Rain / Mark Houser & Bluegrass Drive / Uneven Road / Rural Rhythm
- Arizona / Robin & Linda Williams / These Old Dark Hills / Red House Records
- Amongst The Stones / Breaking Grass / Running With The Moon / Self-Produced
- Gypsy Jubilee / The Bankesters / Looking Forward / Blue Circle Records
- Banks Of The Ohio / Hot Mustard / Live At The Mole Hill Theater / Howling Cat Records
- Willow Creek Dam / American Drive / American Drive / Rural Rhythm
- Thinkin' Of Home / Kathy Kallick Band / Time / Live Oak Records
- The Coal Miner's Son / Darrell Webb Band / Breaking Down The Barriers / Rural Rhythm
- Goodbye To The Sun / Darrell Webb Band / Breaking Down The Barriers / Rural Rhythm
- Cabin On A Mountain / Spinney Brothers / Memories / Mountain Fever Records
- Mama Don't Allow / Karl Shiflett & Big Country Show / Take Me Back / Pinecastle
- The Greatest Creator / Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver / Sing Me A Song About Jesus / Mountain Home
- Meet Me Over On The Other Side / Country Gentlemen / Sugar Hill Years / Sugar Hill
- I Want To Live Like Christ My Savior / Johnson Mountain Boys / Walls Of Time / Rounder
- Every Humble Knee Must Bow / Nashville Bluegrass Band / To Be His Child / Rounder
- On My Way To The Kingdom Land / Special Consensus / Scratch Gravel Road / Compass Records
- You'll Be Rewarded Over There / Joe Val & the New England Bluegrass Boys / One Morning In May / Rounder
- I'm Going To Make Heaven My Home / Lester Flatt & Earl Scruggs / The Complete Mercury Recordings / Mercury
- On The Sunny Side Of Life / Lilly Brothers & Don Stover / What Will I Leave Behind / Rebel
- Black Mountain Blues / Johnson Mountain Boys / Requests / Rounder