This was my second week in a row joining you at the BG Cafe, as Jim had another commitment this afternoon. Even if we didn't receive any new recordings this week to play on the radio, we still had plenty of great music and information to share, so I'm hopeful you heard something you enjoyed somewhere along the way...
The big news in the BG world this week is that the final nominees for the 2012 International Bluegrass Music Association (IBMA) Awards were announced on Wednesday. The awards will be handed out on Thursday, September 27th in ceremonies at the Ryman Auditorium during IBMA's annual World Of Bluegrass week. Most of the nominees come as no surprise, but there are a couple of relatively (to me, anyway) notable absences. The biggest nominee for 2012? Russell Moore & IIIrd Tyme Out, with 9 overall nominations for band members individually and as a group. On the show today, we played music from some of the actual nominees, as well as a couple of songs from performers we thought should have been remembered in this final round of nominations. Better luck next year! If you'd like to see the full list of 2012 nominees, click here.
|In 2011, Doyle Lawson won a couple of IBMA Awards|
with old pals, Paul Williams & J.D. Crowe. In 2012, he's
going into the Hall of Fame!
After last Sunday's show, I realized that I had somehow missed the fact last week that August 12th was the birthdate of one Alvis Edgar Owens, Jr. Even though Buck Owens recorded a "Bluegrass" album in 1971 ("Ruby") and sometimes had a banjo-playing Buckaroo, the fact is that Buck was not a BG singer. That fact, though, certainly hasn't stopped numerous BG performers from covering Buck Owens material over the years, so we always like to try to remember some of the country singers whose material is so BG-friendly. Throughout Sunday's program, we included 10 Buck Owens songs recorded by some mighty fine BG performers (Buck songs in RED in the list that follows), including Lost & Found, Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver, Terry Baucom with the Gibson Brothers, the Virginia Squires, Dailey & Vincent...even a live tune from Bill Monroe's Blue Grass Boys which featured Bill's daughter, Melissa, on the lead vocal. No doubt, Buck's fun songs will continue to be covered in the BG world for years and years to come, and that is just fine with me.
While there wasn't any real "new" music to share on the show, there were still several songs from 2012 recording projects, including material by Karl Shiflett & Big Country Show, Bob Amos, the Boxcars, Lonesome River Band, the Spinney Brothers, Special Consensus, Audie Blaylock & Redline, and Kevin Richardson & Cuttin' Edge.
Be sure to join Jim in the BG Cafe for the next two Sundays, as I'm sure he'll have plenty of terrific music -- old and new -- to share.
- Katy Hill / Del McCoury Band / RockyGrass / Blue Planet
- Walls Of Time / Johnson Mountain Boys / Bill Monroe Centennial Celebration / Rounder
- I Beg To You / James King / Lonesome And Then Some / Rounder
- I Am A Man Of Constant Sorrow / Stanley Brothers / The Complete Columbia Stanley Brothers / Columbia
- Hit Parade Of Love / Jimmy Martin & the Sunny Mountain Boys / Bean Blossom / MCA
- Close By / Dailey & Vincent / Bill Monroe Centennial Celebration / Rounder
- To Warm And Comfort You / Pike Brothers & the Pine Hill Ranchers / To Warm And Comfort You / Rebel
- Meet Me By My Old Kentucky Home / Old Time Bluegrass Singers / Plastic Heart / Open Road
- The Lonesome River / Joe Val & the New England Bluegrass Boys / Live In Holland / Strictly Country
- Washington And Lee Fling / Pike Brothers & the Pine Hill Ranchers / To Warm And Comfort You / Rebel
- Buckaroo / Lost & Found / Just Pickin' / Copper Creek
- I Don't Care / Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver / My Heart Is Yours / Sugar Hill
- Open Up Your Heart / Terry Baucom with the Gibson Brothers / In A Groove / John Boy & Billy, Inc.
- Forever And Ever / Pike Brothers & the Pine Hill Ranchers / To Warm And Comfort You / Rebel
- Together Again / Chris Hillman & Herb Pedersen / At Edwards Barn / Rounder
- Love's Gonna Live Here / Bill Monroe & His Blue Grass Boys with Melissa Monroe / Live At Mechanics Hall / Acoustic Disc
- Sweethearts In Heaven / Reno & Smiley / Sweethearts In Heaven / Bear Family
- Gonna Have Love / Lynn Morris Band with Junior Brown / Shape Of A Tear / Rounder
- Tiger By The Tail / The Grascals with Brad Paisley / The Grascals & Friends / Cracker Barrel
- Tall Dark Stranger / Virginia Squires / The Best Of The Virginia Squires / Rebel
- The Greatest Creator / Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver / Sing Me A Song About Jesus / Mountain Home
- Please Search Your Heart / Bluegrass Album Band / The Bluegrass Compact Disc, Volume 2 / Rounder
- Walkin' Down The Line / Country Gentlemen / Live In Japan / Rebel
- Blue Blue Day / Karl Shiflett & Big Country Show / Take Me Back / Pinecastle
- Backwards And Forwards / Bob Amos / Borrowed Time / Bristlecone
- Old Man From The Mountain / BearTracks / Together 'Til The End / AMT Records
- Rockwood Deer Chase / Jim Mills / Bound To Ride / Sugar Hill
- Polka On A Banjo / Lester Flatt & Earl Scruggs / 16 Greatest Hits / Columbia Legacy
- Pretty Little Girl From Galax / Russell Moore & IIIrd Tyme Out / Prime Tyme / Rural Rhythm
- Ol' Lonesome Won't Leave Me Alone / The Boxcars / All In / Mountain Home
- Rebels Ye Rest / Spinney Brothers / Memories / Mountain Fever Records
- Walkin' The Floor Over Me / Charlie Sizemore / Heartache Looking For A Home / Rounder
- Laura Jean (2012) / Lonesome River Band / Chronology, Volume One / Rural Rhythm
- Laura Jean (1989) / Lonesome River Band / Looking For Yourself / Rebel
- Life Finds A Way / The Grascals / Life Finds A Way / Mountain Home
- Old New Straitsville Moonshine Run / Special Consensus / Scratch Gravel Road / Compass Records
- Gypsy, Joe And Me / Missy Werner / Drifting And Dreaming / Self-Produced
- I Haven't Got The Right To Love You / John Duffey [Seldom Scene] / The Rebel Years: 1962-1977 / Rebel
- Anywhere Is Home Again / Volume Five / Children Of The Mountain / Mountain Fever Records
- Row By Row / Balsam Range / Papertown / Mountain Home
- Newton's Grove / Audie Blaylock & Redline / Hard Country / Rural Rhythm
- Didn't It Rain / Lizzy Long & Little Roy Lewis / Straight From The Heart Of Dixie / Vine Records
- Eternal Vacation / Dailey & Vincent / The Gospel Side Of Dailey & Vincent / Cracker Barrel
- Rock And Roll / Lonesome River Band / Looking For Yourself / Rebel
- Steal Away And Pray / Kevin Richardson & Cuttin' Edge / Kevin Richardson & Cuttin' Edge / Mountain Fever Records
- It's Gonna Rain / Kathy Kallick [Good Ol' Persons] / Count Your Blessings / Live Oak Records
- Jesus Is Whispering Now / Louvin Brothers / Songs That Tell A Story / Rounder
- My Mother's Bible / Warrior River Boys / New Beginnings / Rounder
- Singing As We Rise / Gibson Brothers with Ricky Skaggs / Help My Brother / Compass Records
- Black Mountain Blues / Johnson Mountain Boys / Requests / Rounder