With UCONN baseball whacking the show in half, I focused on artists who had performed at Strawberry Park during the same weekend. The Heritage Corner supplied a couple of LP rarities to the gospel set, too, from Ted Lundy & Bob Paisley and Carl Story & The Brewster Brothers.
There are two major bluegrass festivals and a few smaller ones in Connecticut, and the first of the big ones this year was the Strawberry Park Bluegrass Festival in Preston, CT, June 3-6. Now we get to look forward to Podunk in August.
Wayne Taylor of Wayne Taylor and Appaloosa mentioned to me at Strawberry Park that his song "40 Years" is in 7/8 time -- something even he was not initially conscious of when he wrote the song. It appears Wayne may have started something new in bluegrass. It seems real natural for that song. Check it out at his website here where the embedded player has that song in rotation.
There are several bluegrass events taking place Sunday, June 13, not the least of which is Bluegrass for Food at Sterling Park Campground where our own Amy Orlomoski will be doing the emcee duties. Also, down at the Firebox in Hartford starting at 5 pm the Old Time Bluegrass Singers will be having a release party of sorts for their new CD titled Plastic Heart. If you can't make either of those events, tune in to WHUS 4-7 pm where I'll bring you much of that music.
requests in red, Strawberry Park performers in purple
Song Title / Performer / Album Title / Label
- Fire on The Mountain / Michael Cleveland / Sawing On The "C" String / Self-released
- I Thought I'd Seen It All / Darin & Brooke Aldridge / Self-titled / Mountain Home
- Montana Cowgirl (Coyote Song) / Amy Gallatin & Stillwaters / Phoenix / Happy Appy
- 40 Years / Wayne Taylor and Appaloosa / Self-titled / Self-released
- I've Lived A Lot In My Time / Dry Branch Fire Squad / Just For The Record / Rounder
- The Whiskey Ain't Workin' Anymore / Marty Stuart and His Fabulous Superlatives / Live At The Ryman / Universal
- Heart Of Carolina / U. S. Navy Country Current / Navy Blue Bluegrass / RWB Records
- Fly Around My Pretty Little Miss / Joe Walsh / Saturday Night Waltz / Self-released
- Hello Mary Lou Goodbye Heart / Dailey & Vincent / Sing The Statler Brothers / Cracker Barrel
- Little Maggie / Darrell Webb / Live At Bellamys / Upper Management
- Train Without A Track / Junior Sisk and Ramblers Choice / Heartaches and Dreams / Rebel
- Wheels / The Farewell Drifters / Sweet Summer Breeze / Self-released
- Studebaker / Kenny Smith / Studebaker / Sugar Hill
- Home Sweet Home / Emory Lester / Reminiscing Today / Quiet Fire
- Rain And Snow / Brandon Rickman / Young Man, Old Soul / Rural Rhythm
- The Boys From North Carolina / John Hartford / Goin' Back To Dixie / Small Dog A-Barkin'
- I Can't Like Myself / The Gibson Brothers / Ring The Bell / Compass
- I'm Only Human / The Old Time Bluegrass Singers / Plastic Heart / Open Road
- Let The Harvest Go To Seed / Peter Rowan / Bluegrass Boy / Sugar Hill
- Rambler's Blues / Kenny & Amanda Smith / Live And Learn / Rebel
- Across The Miles / IIIrd Tyme Out / Heaven Bound - The Best of Bluegrass Gospel / Time-Life
- Pray The Clouds Away / Audie Blaylock and Redline / Cryin' Heart Blues / Rural Rhythm
- Mama Loved The Redbirds / Mark Brinkman / On The Brink Of A Dream / Self-released
- Sweeping Through The Gates / Ted Lundy, Bob Paisley and The Southern Mountain Boys / Slipping Away / Rounder (LP)
- Get On Board / Carl Story & The Brewster Brothers / Sing The Gospel Songs You Ask For / Rimrock (LP)
- Swing Low Sweet Chariot / Lizzy Long & Little Roy Lewis / Straight From The Heart of Dixie / Crossroads
- Power In The Blood / Dry Branch Fire Squad / Echoes of the Mountains / Rounder
- Sailing On / Russell Moore, Dale Ann Bradley, others / Look To The Light - Songs of Faith From The Pen of Rick Lang / Rural Rhythm Christian
- The Promise / The Gillis Brothers / Best Of The Gillis Brothers / Hay Holler