I was all by myself for this show because Marti was doing mid-term grades, but I had a great time bringing you songs from many of the great new releases that have arrived in recent weeks.
One of the outstanding new releases is a new CD of the songs of Cullen Galyean titled "Born Into Bluegrass".
Mr. Galyean is a pioneering bluegrass artist from the Galax VA/Mt. Airy NC area who has written many great songs (one you can find on Audie Blaylock's latest CD). The CD features 15 songs from the pen of Cullen Galyean performed by Junior Sisk, Terry Baucom, Johnny Williams, Rick Allred, Jimmy Haley, Cullen Galyean, his son Mickey Galyean, and other great musicians. Included is Mr. Galyean's winning banjo performance at the first bluegrass festival at Fincastle, Virgina in 1965.
By the way, "Galyean" is pronounced like a Spanish galleon. I called Mr. Galyean in Low Gap, NC, just prior to the show to make sure I pronounced it correctly. He is in the phone book. (I love bluegrass!)
Other recent releases featured were from Sam Bush, Gold Heart, Grasstowne, Jeff & Vida, Jim Lauderdale, Claire Lynch, Buddy Merriam, Ross Nickerson, Lou Reid, Southern Rail, the Steep Canyon Rangers, Adam Steffey, and Bill Yates. I also featured a song from a CD titled "North To Ontario 2009" which appears to be songs from bluegrass artists in Ontario, Canada. Nice CD.
Also, to reprise Steve Martin's performance the previous Monday night with the Steep Canyon Rangers on Dave Letterman, I played the song "Saga Of The Old West" from Martin's CD, "The Crow."
I have to commend our listeners for the many great requests. One of every five songs on this show was listener-requested.
Remember Don Reno who passed away October 16, 1984.
Amy will make the banjos and fiddles ring next Sunday, so tune in 4-7 pm ET.
requests in blue
SONG TITLE / PERFORMER / ALBUM TITLE / LABEL
- Fire On The Mountain / Michael Cleveland / Sawing On The "C" String / Self-produced
- Roll On Buddy, Roll On / Sam Bush w / Del McCoury / Circles Around Me / Sugar Hill
- Don't Wake Me Up / Ralph Stanley and the Clinch Mountain Boys / Can't You Hear The Mountains Calling / Rounder
- Have Mercy / Steep Canyon Rangers / Deep In The Shade / Rebel
- Judy Lou / Various Artists - Junior Sisk, Johnny Williams, Cullen Gaylean / Born Into Bluegrass - The Songs of Cullen Galyean / Mountain Roads
- Angel Band / The Stanley Brothers / The Definitive Collection (1947-1966) / Time Life
- Gonna Lay Down My Old Guitar / Bryan Sutton and Friends / Almost Live / Sugar Hill
- Don't Throw Mama's Flowers Away / Danny Paisley and the Southern Grass / The Room Over Mine / Rounder
- There Is A Trap / The Gillis Brothers / Live / Self-produced
- Barbed Wire Boys / Claire Lynch / Whatcha Gonna Do / Rounder
- Hobo On A Freight Train / Southern Rail / On The Road From Appomattox / Railway Records
- Batchin' It / Buddy Merriam / Back Roads Mandolin / Lily Pad
- Let Me Fall / Dudley Connell and Laurie Lewis / Masters of the Banjo / Arhoolie
- Out On The Ocean / Sam Bush / Circles Around Me / Sugar Hill
- The Legend Of The Rebel Soldier / The Country Gentlemen / Classic Bluegrass Collection Volume 2 / Time Life
- One More For The Road / Adam Steffey / One More For The Road / Sugar Hill
- Branded Wherever I Go / Ricky Skaggs / Solo - Songs My Dad Loved / Skaggs Family
- All She Wrote / Jim Lauderdale / Could We Get Any Closer? / Sky Crunch
- Leaving Baker County / Junior Sisk / Blue Side Of The Blue Ridge / Rebel
- Apple Jack / Pam Gadd featuring Dolly Parton / Benefit Of Doubt / Home Sweet Highway
- Footprints In The Snow / Bill Monroe and the Blue Grass Boys / The Music Of Bill Monroe from 1936 to 1994 / MCA
- My Friend Clyde / The Spinney Brothers / If I Were Your Brother / Self-produced
- Boxcar Blues / Jeff & Vida / Selma Chalk / Rosebank Records
- Alabama / Marianne Girard / North To Ontario 2009 / Independent
- Kentucky Mandolin / Ross Nickerson / Lets Kick Some Ass / Bones Records
- Traded The Bottle For A Bible / Various Artists - Johnny Williams / Born Into Bluegrass - The Songs of Cullen Galyean / Mountain Roads
- Turn Up The Bottle / Steep Canyon Rangers / Deep In The Shade / Rebel
- Show Me The Way To Go Home / Various Artists - Mickey Gaylean, Brad Hiatt / Born Into Bluegrass - The Songs of Cullen Gaylean / Mountain Roads
- Always Have, Always Will / Brandon Rickman / Young Man, Old Soul / Rural Rhythm
- Somebody's Missin' You / Lonesome River Band / No Turning Back / Rural Rhythm
- Hard Rock Mountain Prison ('Till I Die) / Russell Moore & IIIrd Tyme Out / Self-titled / Rural Rhythm
- In Despair / Lou Reid & Carolina / My Own Set Of Rules / Rural Rhythm
- What Can I Do? / The Gibson Brothers / Ring The Bell / Compass
- The Window Up Above / The Stanley Brothers / Folk Festival / Independent
- Sad Wind Sighs / The Grascals / Keep On Walkin' / Rounder
- Little Willie / Ralph Stanley and the Clinch Mountain Boys / Can't You Hear The Mountains Calling / Rounder
- Sing A Little Louder / Gold Heart / My Sisters And Me / Rural Rhythm
- Grand Ole Opry Song / Nitty Gritty Dirt Band featuring Jimmy Martin / Will The Circle Be Unbroken / Capitol
- Hard Workin' Man / Grasstowne / The Other Side Of Towne / Pinecastle
- Saga Of The Old West / Steve Martin / The Crow / Rounder
- Meet Me Over On The Other Side / Bill Yates & Friends / Country Gentlemen Tribute (Volume II) / Self-produced
- Saints Go Marching In / The Lilly Brothers and Don Stover / Bluegrass At the Roots 1961 / Smithonian Folkways
- Rock Of Ages / The Osborne Brothers / Essential Bluegrass - Bluegrass Gospel / Pinecastle
- Is She Praying There / Mac Martin / Get In Line Brother (Various Artist Compilation) / Rural Rhythm
- Where Will I Shelter My Sheep / Danny Paisley / Little Old Country Church House (Compilation) / Wango
- I'm Using My Bible For A Roadmap / Reno & Smiley and The Tennessee Cut-ups / 1951/1959 / King
- Carry It Back To The Cross / Various Artists - Mickey Galyean, Greg Jones, Brad Hiatt / Born Into Bluegrass - The Songs of Cullen Galyean / Mountain Roads
- Everybody Wants To Go To Heaven / Tommy Brown & The County Line Grass / Hard Drivin' / Lavenir
- When My Time Has Come To Go / Bob Paisley & The Southern Grass / Angels Rejoiced - Bluegrass Gospel Live In Holland / Strictly Country
- Don't You Wanna Go To Heaven / Dailey & Vincent / Singing From The Heart / Rounder
- The Promise / The Gillis Brothers / The Best of The Gillis Brothers / Hay Holler