If you were at home instead of the Joe Val Bluegrass Festival, perhaps you were surprised to tune in to Bluegrass Cafe (an hour later than usual because of sports) and hear a voice from the past. Indeed, former BG Cafe DJ Jim Beaver (that's me) moved to Mount Airy, North Carolina several months back, but happened to be in town working on selling the old house and was available to step up to the microphone while Amy and Cathy were at Joe Val.
Since my record collection is in Mount Airy now, the bulk of the music I played was limited to record acquisitions I've made in the weeks I've been in Connecticut working on the old house, plus whatever was in the studio. If you noticed the classic and obscure bluegrass music, that is the reason. That, plus I like it.
Of note was the performance by David Davis and the Warrior River Boys Live at Country Corner Coffee House in South Hadley, Massachusetts from March 19, 1994 now available on CD from David Davis himself.
Also there was quite a bit of vinyl on LP and 45 singles including recordings from Bill Berry and Paul Chaney: Jim McCall & Bennie Birchfield, Albert Parsley & Landon Messer; Dub Crouch and Norman Ford; Hack Johnson with Allen Shelton; Bill Box, and The Pinnacle Boys.
The playlist is below.
Be sure to tune in next Sunday when Amy will make the banjos and fiddles ring.
- Bill Berry, Paul Chaney and the Blue Grass Travelers / Banjo Stretch / 45 RPM single / Traveler
- Bill Monroe and His Blue Grass Boys / Rocky Road Blues / The Essential Bill Monroe and His Blue Grass Boys / Columbia
- The Country Gentlemen / Philadelphia Lawyer / The Early Rebel Recordings: 1962-1971 / Rebel
- Longview / Seven Year Blues / Longview / Universal
- Jim McCall & Bennie Birchfield and the Bluegrass Partners / Sitting On An Old Barstool / 45 RPM single / REM
- Travers Chandler / Brown Hill / Brown Hill / Patuxent
- Ralph Stanley and The Clinch Mountain Boys / A Little Boy Called Joe / Classic Bluegrass / Rebel
- Carolina Native Sons / A Couple a Dozen / Rank Ol' Bluegrass / Patuxent
- David Davis and the Warrior River Boys / Fire On The Mountain / Live at Country Corner Coffee House / Self-released
- David Davis and the Warrior River Boys / I'll Never Get To Hold You In My Arms Anymore / Live at Country Corner Coffee House / Self-released
- David Davis and the Warrior River Boys / I Heard That Lonesome Whistle Blues / Live at Country Corner Coffee House / Self-released
- Bob Paisley and the Southern Grass / I Overlooked An Orchid / Back To The Blue Ridge / Brandywine
- Lonesome Standard Time / Bandit / Mighty Lonesome / Sugar Hill
- J. D. Crowe / Will You Be Satisfied That Way / Bluegrass Holiday / Rebel
- The Stanley Brothers / Hey, Hey, Hey / 1949-1952 / Bear Family
- Doyle Lawson / Five Miles to Winchester / Tennessee Dream (LP) / Rebel
- Albert Parsley & Landon Messer / Hemlocks and Primroses / 45 RPM single / REM
- Bill Box And The Dixie Drifters / Locked Away From Your Heart / Big Bluegrass Special (LP) / Rich-R-Tone
- Lilly Brothers & Don Stover / The Waves on the Sea / Bluegrass at the Roots 1961 / Smithsonian Folkways
- James King / Leavin' / These Old Pictures / Rounder
- The Gillis Brothers / Ice Cold Stone / Ice Cold Stone / Hay Holler
- Dub Crouch, Norman Ford and the Bluegrass Rounders / Nobody's Love Is Like Mine / Traditional Bluegrass (LP) / King Bluegrass
- Jim Eanes and the Shenandoah Valley Boys / Your Old Standby / 45 RPM single / Starday
- The Pinnacle Boys / Take A Look / Take A Look And Listen To The Pinnacle Boys (LP) / Atteiram
- Hack Johnson and his Tennesseans / Crazy Banjo Medley / 45 RPM single / Colonial
- Danny Paisley & the Southern Grass / Darling Nellie Across the Sea / Weary River / Patuxent Music
- Bill Harrell & Don Reno / He Keeps Me Singing / It's Hymn-Time Volume One / Wango
- Ralph Stanley & the Clinch Mountain Boys / Will He Wait A Little Longer / Cry From The Cross (LP) / Rebel
- Country Gospel Time with Phebel Wright / Where Will I Shelter My Sheep / 45 RPM single / Bryte
- The Phipps Family / We'll Work 'til Jesus Comes / 33 RPM EP / Pine Mountain
- Early Upchurch / It's Alright / Gospel Voice of Mount Airy, NC / Field Recorders Collective
- The Bluegrass Band / Shake My Mother's Hand For Me / Shine Hallelujah Shine / Hay Holler
- The Cooke Duet / I Can Call Jesus / Early Cooke Duet / CRFC
- The Gibson Brothers / I Found a Church Today / In the Ground / Rounder
- The Johnson Mountain Boys / See God's Ark a Movin' / Blue Diamond / Rounder
- Jim & Jesse / Are You Lost In Sin / 1952-1955 / Bear Family
- Tom Mindte & Jeremy Stephens / Do You Call That Religion? / Radio Favorites & Sacred Songs / Patuxent
- Fred Etheridge with Nick Anderson & Mark Doyle / Walking in a Dream / Pickin' And Singin' / Self-released