To start the program, we heard three songs from the Seldom Scene, as it was announced late last week that Ben Eldridge -- the Scene's banjo picker and the only original member of the band that was formed in 1971 -- was retiring. It's always good to see Bluegrass (and really, ANY type of music) performers be able to retire when they are ready to retire. Best wishes to this Bluegrass Hall of Famer, and thanks for the wonderful years of music! It was also announced that Rickie Simpkins would be joining the Scene full-time. If you've followed Bluegrass for a while, you may remember Rickie from his work with both the Tony Rice Unit and the Virginia Squires.
Sunday's show was a good one to introduce some new Bluegrass, too. We included songs from two recordings that will be released later this year (from Edgar Loudermilk, as well as Junior Sisk & Ramblers Choice), as well as newer music from projects by the Grascals, Charm City Junction, John Bowman, the Kathy Kallick Band, and Danny Paisley & the Southern Grass.
Other "special" selections from Sunday included several tracks from an LP on Rounder featuring recordings made by the Osborne Brothers & Red Allen in 1956 and 1957, as well as several songs played in celebration of Dolly Parton, as she will celebrate her 69th birthday on January 19th.
And for fun, we got to give away a couple of pairs of tickets to the upcoming January 22nd show at the lovely Infinity Music Hall in Norfolk, CT featuring the always-entertaining Gibson Brothers. If you'd like more information on the show, find it by clicking here.
I'll be back with you next Sunday at 4PM, and don't forget to look for Jim and his Red Rooster Party moves to 7-9AM on Sunday mornings beginning January 24th.
Enjoy the week!
SONG / PERFORMER / ALBUM / LABEL
- Katy Hill / Del McCoury Band / RockyGrass / Blue Planet
- I Haven't Got The Right To Love You / Seldom Scene / Scene 20 / Sugar Hill
- Old Train / Seldom Scene / Different Roads / Rebel
- Paradise / Seldom Scene / Long Time...Seldom Scene / Smithsonian Folkways
- Chilly Winds / Virginia Squires / The Best Of The Virginia Squires / Rebel
- Where The Old Red River Flows / Joe Val & the New England Bluegrass Boys / One Morning In May / Rounder
- Love You In Van / Alison Krauss & Union Station / Two Highways / Rounder
- Shuckin' The Corn / Lester Flatt & Earl Scruggs / Foggy Mountain Jamboree / Columbia
- The Convict And The Rose / Country Gentlemen / The Early Rebel Recordings, 1962-1971 / Rebel
- Only A Memory Away / Virginia Squires / The Best Of The Virginia Squires / Rebel
- Frozen In Time / Gibson Brothers / Help My Brother / Compass Records
- Sunshine Special / Tennessee Mafia Jug Band / Screams From The Holler / Spring Fed Records
- Rocks In The River / Missy Werner Band / Turn This Heart Around / Self-Produced
- Come Hither To Go Yonder / Danny Paisley & the Southern Grass / Weary River / Patuxent Music
- Trouble Keeps Hanging Around My Door / Bluestone / What Goes On / Patuxent Music
- Green Mountain Girl / Seth Sawyer Band / Green Mountain Girl / Self-Produced
- Once More / Osborne Brothers & Red Allen / The Osborne Brothers & Red Allen / Rounder
- Truck Driver's Queen / Charlie Moore / Gone...But Not Forgotten / Wango Records
- Carry Me Back To Carolina / Terry Baucom with Buddy Melton / Never Thought Of Looking Back / John Boy & Billy, Inc.
- Teardrops In My Eyes / Osborne Brothers & Red Allen / The Osborne Brothers & Red Allen / Rounder
- The Bluefield West Virginia Blues / Big Country Bluegrass / Country Livin' / Rebel
- Til The End Of The World Rolls Round / New Kentucky Colonels / The All Night Gang / Rebel
- Who Done It / Osborne Brothers & Red Allen / The Osborne Brothers & Red Allen / Rounder
- Sweet Little Mountain Girl / The Grascals / And Then There's This... / Mountain Home
- My Kentucky Home / Edgar Loudermilk / Georgia Maple / Pinecastle
- Two O'Clock In The Morning / Charm City Junction / Charm City Junction / Patuxent Music
- Longneck Blues / Junior Sisk & Ramblers Choice with Ronnie Bowman / Poor Boy's Pleasure / Mountain Fever Records
- Jimmy Brown The Newsboy / Mac Wiseman & Merle Haggard / Timeless / Cracker Barrel/Hag Records
- Freight Train Boogie / Bear Minimum / The Automobile Of Life / Open Road
- I'm Not Your Honey-Baby Now / Kathy Kallick Band / Foxhounds / Live Oak Records
- Coat Of Many Colors / Lynn Morris Band / The Bramble And The Rose / Rounder [Dolly Parton birthday, 1/19/1946]
- Jolene / Rhonda Vincent & the Rage / Ragin' Live / Rounder [Dolly Parton birthday, 1/19/1946]
- AppleJack / Pam Gadd with Dolly Parton / Benefit Of Doubt / Home Sweet Highway Productions [Dolly Parton birthday, 1/19/1946]
- My Blue Tears / Gloria Belle / Love Of The Mountains / Webco [Dolly Parton birthday, 1/19/1946]
- Sam Smith / Gibson Brothers / Spread Your Wings / Hay Holler
- Without You / Gary Ferguson / Without You / Turquoise Records
- That's What Country Folks Do / Lost & Found / Love, Lost & Found / Rebel
- Streets Of Baltimore / Del McCoury Band / The Streets Of Baltimore / McCoury Music
- I Do / Feinberg Brothers / Feinberg Brothers / Cabinwood Music
- Row Number 2, Seat Number 3 / Laura Orshaw / Songs Of Lost Yesterdays / Self-Produced
- I'll Answer The Call / Ralph Stanley / I'll Answer The Call / Rebel
- Kneel At The Cross / Bluegrass Patriots / Kneel At The Cross / Red Feather
- Me And Jesus / Charlie Sizemore / The Story Is... The Songs Of Tom T. Hall / Rebel
- A Valley Of Peace / Charlie Monroe / Post War Country Classics, 1946-1950 / Cattle
- They're Holding Up The Ladder / John Bowman / Beautiful Ashes / Mountain Home
- One Is Taken, One Is Left / Case Brothers / Radio Album / Self-Produced
- Better Get In That Number / Spinney Brothers / Here At The Cross / Self-Produced
- Sweeping Through The Gates / Bob Paisley & the Southern Grass / Forty Years Of Trouble / Strictly Country
- Black Mountain Blues / Johnson Mountain Boys / Requests / Rounder