On this day we remembered long time bass player and vocalist Bill Yates who passed away January 26, 2015 by playing songs he recorded with Jimmy Martin, and later The Country Gentlemen.
We also celebrated the 76th birthday 1 February of Del McCoury, one of the premier bluegrass performers alive today. Del's catalog is vast -- every song we played was from from a different album and we didn't scratch the surface. Coincidentally, Del McCoury Band fiddle player and current IBMA Fiddle Player of the Year, Jason Carter, celebrates his birthday on the same day.
A couple of albums were featured in addition to the above. Ralph Stanley's newest effort was released a couple of weeks ago at Cracker Barrel, and we played a couple songs from that disc today.
The featured Heritage Corner LP was Just Pickin' by Strings of Five -- a 1978 recording by Hoyt Herbert, Ken Poovey, Steve Kilby, Bob Miller, Raymond Pennington, Lester Deaton, and Curtis Ballard. The group appears to have been from North Carolina.
In addition to the new Ralph Stanley album, new music included the debut on Bluegrass Cafe of a single from Cody Shuler's upcoming new release, and the debut of a track from the new release from The Farm Hands.
Current favorites on the show included tracks from Michael Cleveland, Larry Gillis, Tommy Brown, The Earls of Leicester, Marteka and William, Jackson and Stiltner, Russ Carson, Laurie Lewis & Kathy Kallick, and Rob McCoury.
|Earl Taylor & The Stoney Mountain Boys|
We hope you enjoyed something you heard on this show. Be sure to tune in next Sunday when Amy will make the banjos and fiddles ring.
Bill Yates tribute in red. Del McCoury birthday celebration in blue.
- The Johnson Mountain Boys / Big Rufus / Live At The Birchmere / Rounder
- Michael Cleveland & Flamekeeper / Johnny Thompson / On Down The Line / Compass
- Cody Shuler / My Home is On This Ole Boxcar / single / Rural Rhythm
- Ralph Stanley & Ralph Stanley II / Darling Little Joe / Side By Side / Rebel
- Ralph Stanley (Feat. Ricky Skaggs & Keith Whitley) / Too Late To Cry / Great Bluegrass Performances - Ralph Stanley feat. Ricky Skaggs & Keith Whitley / CBuJ Recordings (from Jalyn LP)
- Jimmy Martin & the Sunny Mountain Boys / Living Like A Fool / Jimmy Martin 1954-1974 / Bear Family
- Jimmy Martin & the Sunny Mountain Boys / Freeborn Man / Jimmy Martin 1954-1974 / Bear Family
- Jimmy Martin & the Sunny Mountain Boys / Milwaukee Here I Come / Jimmy Martin 1954-1974 / Bear Family
- The Country Gentlemen / Secret Of The Waterfall / The Award Winning Country Gentlemen / Rebel
- The Country Gentlemen / Matterhorn / Live In Japan / Rebel
- The Country Gentlemen / Darby's Castle / Sugar Hill Collection / Sugar Hill
- Ralph Stanley & Friends / Brand New Tennessee Waltz (feat. Del McCoury) / Man of Constant Sorrow / Cracker Barrel
- Larry Gillis / Three Sheets in the Wind / Swamp Folk / Self-Produced
- Alex Leach / Moonshiner / Mountain Heartache / Self-released
- Strings of Five / Heart Stealing Mama / Just Pickin' / Atteiram (LP)
- Delia Bell and Bill Grant / Come Back To Me In My Dreams / Kiamichi Moon / Old Homestead
- Tommy Brown and the County Line Grass / Fort Worth Jailhouse / Leaving This Town / Randm
- Larry Efaw and the Bluegrass Mountaineers / Sea of Regret / She Left Me Standing On a Mountain / Blue Circle
- The South Carolina Broadcasters / When I'm Gone / Short Time To Stay Here / Flaming Heart
- The Earls Of Leicester / On My Mind / The Earls of Leicester / Rounder
- Strings of Five / Leave My Blues In Chicago / Just Pickin' / Atteiram (LP)
- The Del McCoury Band / The Blue Side of Town / Blue Side of Town / Rounder
- Del McCoury / I Feel the Blues Moving in / By Request / McCoury Music
- Del McCoury / The Bluest Man in Town / A Deeper Shade of Blue / Rounder
- Del McCoury / I've Endured / My Dixie Home / Rebel
- Del McCoury & the Dixie Pals / High on a Mountain / High on a Mountain / Rounder
- Marteka and William / Yonder Stands Little Maggie / The Sounds Of A Tradition / Self-released
- The Farm Hands / The Way That I Was Raised / Better Than I Deserve / Pinecastle
- Danny Paisley & the Southern Grass / I Been Walkin' / Road Into Town / Patuxent
- Danny Paisley & the Southern Grass / Cherokee Shuffle / Road Into Town / Patuxent
- Laurie Lewis & Kathy Kallick / My Clinch Mountain Home / Laurie & Kathy Sing Songs of Vern & Ray / Spruce and Maple
- Jackson & Stiltner / Guitar Pickin' Truck Driver / Tribute To Bill Napier / Self Released
- Russ Carson / Heartbreak Hall of Fame / Avenue Of The Giants / 2014 Patuxent
- Rob McCoury / John Henry / The 5 String Flamethrower / McCoury Music
- Earl Taylor & Stoney Mountain Boys / White House Blues / Mountain Music Bluegrass Style / Smithsonian Folkways
- Eddie & Martha Adcock / Spirited / Spirited / Pinecastle
- The Lilly Brothers & Don Stover / What Would the Profit Be / What Will I Leave Behind / Rebel
- Ralph Stanley & Friends / I Am the Man, Thomas / Man of Constant Sorrow / Cracker Barrel
- Strings of Five / Touch of God's Hand / Just Pickin' / Atteiram (LP)
- Joe Val / The Angels Rejoiced In Heaven Last Night / Diamond Joe / Rounder
- Del McCoury / Mother's Prayer / Livin' On the Mountain / Rebel
- Fred Etheridge with Nick Anderson & Mark Doyle / What Would You Do / Pickin' And Singin' / Self-released
- Mac Martin And The Dixie Travelers / Is She Praying There / Travelin' On / Copper Creek
- The Johnson Mountain Boys / God's Not Dead / Favorites / Rounder
- Dave Evans / You'll Never Walk The Streets Of Gold / Classic Bluegrass / Rebel
- Fred Etheridge with Nick Anderson & Mark Doyle / Walking in a Dream / Pickin' And Singin' / Self-released