|Larry Efaw with the mandolin front-R|
We also celebrated Dolly Parton's 68th birthday with a long set of Dolly's music, most of which was bluegrass-friendly.
|J.E. Mainer, Jr. at church in 2010|
J.E. Mainer Jr. will celebrate his 90th birthday Wednesday, January 22, so we played a couple of tracks he recorded with his dad for King in 1946, including one he wrote.
I dug out some recent 45 RPM additions to my personal collection and shared with everyone. The list included the original recording of the Doug Dillard banjo tune, "Banjo In The Hollow" by Joe Noel & The Dixie Ramblers with Doug and Rodney Dillard on banjo and guitar, and songs from Albert Parsley & Landon Messer, Jack Cooke (yes, the Clinch Mountain Boy) from a solo recording in the early 1960s, and a track from Bill Price's band The Country Pardners.
We introduced a song from a new CD that Rhonda Vincent recorded to accompany a book by Concord, North Carolina author Nancy B. Brewer. The book is "The House With The Red Light" and the CD contains songs referenced in the book.
Robert E. Lee was born on this day in 1807, so we played an old Jimmy Arnold song about General Lee to remember.
Other notable music from my Heritage Corner included songs from Vern & Ray, Leroy Troy (from 20 years ago), Mac Martin, Earl Taylor & Jim McCall, Molly O'Day, The Wade Family, and early Country Gentlemen.
We had fun and we hope you did, too. Amy will be back next week to make the banjos and fiddles ring, so tune in!
requests in red, Dolly tribute in green, J.E. Mainer Jr. tribute in blue
Title / Artist / Album / Label
- Train 45 / The Gillis Brothers / Freight Train Special V2 / Wango
- Alcatraz Island Blues / Danny Paisley & The Southern Grass / Road Into Town / Patuxent
- Hold On Honey Hold On / Jim Lauderdale / Old Time Angels / Sky Crunch
- Silver Bells / Larry Efaw and the Bluegrass Mountaineers / She Left Me Standing On A Mountain / Blue Circle
- Mule Skinner Blues (Blue Yodel No. 8) / Dolly Parton / The Essential Dolly Parton / RCA Legacy
- Jolene / Dolly Parton / The Essential Dolly Parton / RCA Legacy
- Apple Jack / Pam Gadd w. Dolly Parton / Benefit Of Doubt / Home Sweet Highway
- Wildflowers / Parton, Ronstadt, Harris / Trio / Warner Bros
- I'm Gonna Sleep With One Eye Open / Dolly Parton / The Grass Is Blue / Sugar Hill
- Sugar Hill / Dolly Parton / Halos & Horns / Sugar Hill
- Coat Of Many Colors / Dolly Parton / Live And Well / Sugar Hill
- Ashes Of Love / Sammy Adkins / Tribute To Keith Whitley / Crosscut
- Stumblin Stones / Travers Chandler and Avery County / Pardon Me... / Mountain Fever
- Little Glass Of Wine / Ralph Stanley, George Shuffler, James King / Plum Pitiful / Time Life
- I'm Longing For My Old Virginia Home / Big Country Bluegrass / Memories Of The Past / Rebel
- She Left Me Standing On A Mountain / Larry Efaw and the Bluegrass Mountaineers / She Left Me Standing On A Mountain / Blue Circle
- No Doubt About It / Junior Sisk & Joe Mullins / Hall Of Fame Bluegrass / Rebel
- Mountain Heartache / Alex Leach / Mountain Heartache / Self-released
- Broken Heart And A Worried Mind / Larry Efaw and the Bluegrass Mountaineers / She Left Me Standing On A Mountain / Blue Circle
- Give Me Time To Think It Over / Larry Efaw and the Bluegrass Mountaineers / She Left Me Standing On A Mountain / Blue Circle
- Eight Steps Toward The Lord / Larry Efaw and the Bluegrass Mountaineers / She Left Me Standing On A Mountain / Blue Circle
- Old Five And Dimers / James King / Three Chords And The Truth / Rounder
- How Many Times / Vern & Ray / San Francisco - 1968 / Arhoolie
- Hard Times In A Cotton Mill / J.E. Mainer's Mountaineers / 20 Original King Recordings / Gusto
- Lonely Train / J.E. Mainer's Mountaineers / 20 Original King Recordings / Gusto
- Banjo In The Hollow / Joe Noel & The Dixie Ramblers / 45 RPM Single / K-Ark (45)
- All I Was To You / NewTown / Time Machine / Pisgah
- General Lee / Jimmy Arnold / Riding With Ol' Mosby / Rebel
- You're On My Mind / Joe Noel & The Dixie Ramblers / 45 RPM Single / K-Ark (45)
- When / Albert Parsley & Landon Messer / 45 RPM Single / REM (45)
- End Of My Journey / Jack Cooke / 45 RPM Single / Ark (45)
- Have Mercy On You / The Country Pardners / 45 RPM Single / RCA Victor (45)
- Too Many Rivers / The Del McCoury Band / The Streets Of Baltimore / McCoury Music
- Hand Me Down My Walking Cane / Leroy Troy / Backroads / Self-released
- New River Girl / Alex Leach / Mountain Heartache / Self-released
- This Rambler's Ramblin' / Mac Martin / Country Roots / Rural Rhythm
- A Dollar Down / Reno And Harrell / Reno Bound / John Boy & Billy
- Long Journey Home / Earl Taylor & Jim McCall / Country Roots / Rural Rhythm
- When My Time Comes To Go / Molly O'Day / Living Legend of Country Music / Gusto
- Sinner Man / Don Rigsby / Doctor's Orders / Rebel
- When The Roll Is Called Up Yonder / Rhonda Vincent / Performs Songs from The House With The Red Light / Upper Management
- Hill Tops Of Glory / The Wade Family / Rare Bluegrass from Nashville The 1960s / T-Bird
- Kneel Down / Mickey Galyean & Cullen's Bridge / Rollin' With Tradition / Galyean Family
- Will He Wait A Little Longer / Larry Efaw and the Bluegrass Mountaineers / She Left Me Standing On A Mountain / Blue Circle
- Heavenly Light Shinin' On Me / Nick Anderson & Shady Creek / Back To The Roots / Self-released
- The Church Back Home / The Country Gentlemen / High Lonesome / Gusto
- Walking In A Dream / Fred Etheridge, Nick Anderson, Mark Doyle / Pickin' And Singin' / Self-released