To start things off, we played several tunes featuring the wonderful Paul Warren, who was announced this week as one of two soon-to-be-inducted members of the Bluegrass Hall of Fame. As Lester Flatt & Earl Scruggs had broken up the Foggy Mountain Boys long before I ever came to truly appreciate Bluegrass music, it was through Warren disciples such as the Johnson Mountain Boys' Eddie Stubbs where I first heard the name of Paul Warren. Since the old Flatt & Scruggs TV shows mostly from the early 1960s have been issued on DVD in recent years, I've come to fully appreciate the fiddle work of Paul Warren, and I've been able to realize what an incredible spark he provided for the Foggy Mountain Boys. What an amazing life he lived, and what an incredible legacy of recordings we can still share!
The other Hall of Fame inductee for 2013 is the well-revered Tony Rice, and we played a bit of music from him, too.
As the final nominees for IBMA Awards were announced this past week, we also featured a little bit of music from a few of the nominees for awards this year, including the Spinney Brothers, Balsam Range, Russell Moore & IIIrd Tyme Out, Junior Sisk & Ramblers Choice, and the Gibson Brothers.
In addition to short sets of Bluegrass covers of songs originally recorded by
Country Music Hall of Famers Buck Owens (born August 12, 1929) and Porter Wagoner (born August 12, 1927), we also included a good dosage of brand new Bluegrass music. The newest of the new came from projects by Terry Baucom, Chris Jones & the Night Drivers, and Lorraine Jordan & Carolina Road, but there was also newer music from the likes of the Tuttles with A.J. Lee, Big Country Bluegrass, Hammertowne, and Joe Mullins & the Radio Ramblers. We also took a few moments to share a few Bluegrass gospel songs of the Country Gentlemen, as we remembered the one and only Charlie Waller who died on August 18, 2004.
It was a full show, and an enjoyable one from my end of the microphone. Hope you agree with this assessment.
Have a good week!
Requests are RED.
SONG / PERFORMER / ALBUM / LABEL
- Katy Hill / Del McCoury Band / RockyGrass / Blue Planet
- Don't Let Your Deal Go Down / Lester Flatt & Earl Scruggs / Selected Cuts, 1955-1959 / JSP Records
- Old Leather Britches / Lester Flatt & Earl Scruggs feat. Paul Warren / Recorded Live At Vanderbilt University / Columbia
- Salty Dog Blues / Lester Flatt & Earl Scruggs / Flatt & Scruggs At Carnegie Hall! / Koch Records
- Durham's Reel / Lester Flatt & Earl Scruggs feat. Paul Warren / Flatt & Scruggs At Carnegie Hall! / Koch Records
- Listen To The Mockingbird / Lester Flatt / Lester Raymond Flatt / Flying Fish
- Fiddle And Banjo / Lester Flatt & Earl Scruggs feat. Paul Warren / Flatt & Scruggs At Carnegie Hall! / Koch Records
- Old Leather Britches / Lester Flatt & Earl Scruggs feat. Paul Warren / Flatt & Scruggs At Carnegie Hall! / Koch Records
- Greenlight On The Southern / Tony Rice / Bluegrass Class Of 1990 / Rounder
- Goldrush / Tony Rice / The Bill Monroe Collection / Rounder
- Louisville Woman / Spinney Brothers / No Borders / Mountain Fever Records
- Good To See The Home Place Once Again / Junior Sisk & Ramblers Choice / The Story Of The Day That I Died / Rebel
- Gentle On My Mind / Russell Moore & IIIrd Tyme Out / Country Hits Of The Past Bluegrassed / Cracker Barrel
- Something Comin' To Me / Gibson Brothers / They Called It Music / Compass Records
- Day In The Life Of A Railroad Spike / Balsam Range / Papertown / Mountain Home
- Road Into Town / Danny Paisley & the Southern Grass / Road Into Town / Patuxent Music
- My Window Faces The South / The Tuttles with A.J. Lee / Endless Ocean / Self-Produced
- Headin' South / Big Country Bluegrass / Memories Of The Past / Rebel
- Sourwood Mountain / Hammertowne / Hammertowne / Mountain Fever Records
- Tennessee Tea / Joe Diffie / Homecoming / Rounder
- There's No Room In My Heart For The Blues / Bill Emerson & Cliff Waldron / The Best Of Emerson & Waldron / Rebel
- Goodbye Old Pal / Joe Val / Diamond Joe / Rounder
- No One But My Darlin' / Terry Baucom with John Cowan / Never Thought Of Looking Back / JohnBoy & Billy, Inc.
- That's Kentucky / Lorraine Jordan & Carolina Road / Lorraine Jordan & Carolina Road / Pinecastle
- Barn Burner / Chris Jones & the Night Drivers / Lonely Comes Easy / Rebel
- Tiger By The Tail / The Grascals with Brad Paisley / The Grascals & Friends / Cracker Barrel
- There Goes My Love / Johnson Mountain Boys / Blue Diamond / Rounder
- Sweethearts In Heaven / Reno & Smiley / On The Air / Copper Creek
- Gonna Have Love / Lynn Morris Band / Shape Of A Tear / Rounder
- If Teardrops Were Pennies / Lynn Morris / You'll Never Be The Sun / Rounder
- Carroll County Accident / James King / The Bluegrass Storyteller / Rounder
- Holding On To Nothing / Dale Ann Bradley with Marty Raybon / Catch Tomorrow / Compass Records
- Farewell Wagon Master / Pam Gadd / Benefit Of Doubt / Home Sweet Highway Productions
- Age / Bluegrass Gospel Project / The Blue Morpho / Vital Records
- Sorry County Blues / Lonesome River Band / Chronology, Volume Three / Rural Rhythm
- Is It Too Late To Settle Down / American Drive / American Drive / Rural Rhythm
- If I Lose / Stanley Brothers / The Early Starday King Years 1958-1961 / Gusto
- Lovin' On Backstreets / Lost & Found / A Ride Through The Country / Rebel
- Katy Daley / Joe Mullins & the Radio Ramblers / They're Playing My Song / Rebel
- Daisey Mae / Jason Carter / On The Move / Rounder
- Buck Creek Gal / Johnny Warren & Charlie Cushman with Earl Scruggs / A Tribute To Fiddlin' Paul Warren / Self-Produced
- Trainwreck Of Emotion / Del McCoury / Don't Stop The Music / Rounder
- Waiting For The Boys To Come Home / Country Gentlemen / Let The Light Shine Down / Rebel
- Eternal Vacation / Dailey & Vincent / The Gospel Side Of Dailey & Vincent / Cracker Barrel
- Paul And Silas / Country Gentlemen / Let The Light Shine Down / Rebel
- Count Your Blessings / Laurie Lewis & Kathy Kallick / Together / Kaleidoscope
- Calm The Storm / Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver / The Original Band / Sugar Hill
- Land Up In The Air / Special Consensus / 35 / Compass Records
- Meet Me Over On The Other Side / Country Gentlemen / The Sugar Hill Years / Sugar Hill
- Get In Line Brother / Lester Flatt & Earl Scruggs / Radio Gems
- Joy Bells / Lester Flatt & Earl Scruggs / Foggy Mountain Gospel / Columbia
- Brother, I'm Getting Ready To Go / Lester Flatt & Earl Scruggs / Father's Table Grace / MME
- Black Mountain Blues / Johnson Mountain Boys / Requests / Rounder