During the WHUS summer schedule, Amy has sole production responsibility for Bluegrass Cafe as I focus on Red Rooster Party with Marti. I expect this will just be a summer shift, and I will return to the usual rotation of Bluegrass Cafe during the fall schedule. That said, today was the first show of the summer schedule and Amy was away, so my appearance was as a fill-in host, which combined with Red Rooster Party made it a five-hour day on the air for me.
There was some great bluegrass though, starting with a trio of new recordings of songs from the pens of Tom T. and Dixie Hall by such Cafe favorites as Big Country Bluegrass and The Spinney Brothers.
Also, a couple of weeks ago we introduced new music from Low Gap NC native Mickey Galyean & Cullen's Bridge, and we continued bringing music from that excellent disc to our listeners this week.
Dale Pyatt's song about Secretariat was appropriate for the day after the Preakness, and Rebecca Frazier's new solo effort made its first appearance on the show.
Rounding out the new music was material from The Gibson Brothers, Dailey & Vincent, Marty Raybon, Hammertowne, and The Boxcars.
We were still remembering George Jones when we played one of the last songs he recorded on a tribute project for Dr. Ralph Stanley.
The Heritage Corner was loaded with listener requests for first generation banjo instrumentals, so we played a cross-section from Earl, Don, Don, and Ralph.
Amy will be bringing you the banjos and fiddles of Bluegrass Cafe for most of the rest of the summer, so you know bluegrass is in good hands. And if you are interested in where this music came from, try out Red Rooster Party 2-4pm just before Bluegrass Cafe.
requests in blue
- Fire On The Mountain / Michael Cleveland / Sawing On The "C" String / Self-released
- Alcatraz Island Blues / Danny Paisley & The Southern Grass / Road Into Town / Patuxent
- Day In The Life Of A Railroad Spike / Balsam Range / Papertown / Mountain Home
- Thinkin' Of Home / Kathy Kallick Band / Time / Live Oak
- I'm Putting On My Leaving Shoes / Big Country Bluegrass / Memories Of The Past / Rebel
- I Wish That I Could've Met Carter / The Spinney Brothers / No Borders / Mountain Fever
- I Want My Dog Back / The Spinney Brothers / No Borders / Mountain Fever
- When You're Holding Me / Rhonda Vincent / Single-release / Upper Management
- Run Secretariat Run / Dale Pyatt / Dale Pyatt / Self-released
- May I Sleep In Your Barn Tonight Mister / Mickey Galyean & Cullen's Bridge / Rollin' With Tradition / Self-released
- Randy Lynn Rag / Flatt & Scruggs / Foggy Mountain Jamboree / Columbia
- Dixie Breakdown / Don Reno & Red Smiley / Early Years 1951-1959 / Gusto
- Buy A Ring, Find A Preacher / The Gibson Brothers / They Called It Music / Compass
- Steel Drivin' Man / Dailey & Vincent / Brothers Of The Highway / Rounder
- Love Someone Like Me / Darlene & Reflections Of Bluegrass / If It Ain't Love / Self-released
- How Could I Dream Such A Dream / George Jones / A Special Tribute To A Living Legend - Dr. Ralph Stanley / Nathan Stanley
- Ain't Gonna Work Tomorrow / Rebecca Frazier / When We Fall / Compass
- Salt River / The Lilly Brothers & Don Stover / Bluegrass At The Roots - 1961 / Smithsonian Folkways
- Clinch Mountain Backstep / The Stanley Brothers / Classic Bluegrass Collection / Time Life
- Tennessee / Jimmy Martin / Classic Bluegrass Collection / Time Life
- Little Maggie / Ralph Stanley & The Clinch Mountain Boys / Appalachian Stomp: More Bluegrass Classics / Rhino
- Ruby / The Osborne Brothers / Appalachian Stomp: More Bluegrass Classics / Rhino
- Mystery Train / The Grascals / Life Finds A Way / Mountain Home
- Emmaline / Lou Reid & Carolina / Callin' Me Back Home / KMA
- The Big Burnsville Jail / Marty Raybon & Full Circle / The Back Forty / Rural Rhythm
- Kristi Lynn / Larry Gillis / Swampgrass / Tinman
- Cotton Farmer / Travers Chandler & Avery County / State Of Depression / Patuxent
- He Could Pick The Hound / Crowe Brothers / Bridging The Gap / Rural Rhythm
- Whiskey / Travers Chandler & Avery County / Pardon Me... / Mountain Fever
- Mandolin Tango / Travers Chandler & Avery County / State Of Depression / Patuxent
- Southern Train / The Boxcars / It's Just A Road / Mountain Home
- Did She Mention My Name / Robert Hale / Pure & Simple / Pinecastle
- Iver Johnson Is My Name / Hammertowne / Self-titled / Mountain Fever
- Our Old Kentucky Home / Joe Mullins & The Radio Ramblers / They're Playing My Song / Rebel
- Gypsy, Joe and Me / Missy Werner / Drifting and Dreaming / Self-released
- Roger's Reel (bed) / Roger & JD Williams / Williams Squared / Happy Appy
- Crimson Raptor (bed) / Roger & JD Williams / Williams Squared / Happy Appy
- Goin' To The Dance / Chris Warner / Goin' To The Dance / Patuxent
- Lonesome Pine Breakdown / The Lonesome Pine Fiddlers / Windy Mountain / Bear Family
- Dooley / The Dillards / Back Porch Bluegrass / Elektra
- Nine Pound Hammer / The Kentucky Colonels / Appalachian Stomp: Bluegrass Classics / Rhino
- Pretty Little Girl From Galax / Russell Moore & IIIrd Tyme Out / Prime Tyme / Rural Rhythm
- I'm Going Back To The Mountain / Bobby Osborne & The Rocky Top X-Press / New Bluegrass & Old Heartaches / Rural Rhythm
- Play The Lonesome Sound / Dewey Brown / Hard Times For A Fiddler / Dew Bug
- Don't Wait For The Hearse To Take You To Church / Rodney Dillard & The Dillard Band / Don't Wait For The Hearse To Take You To Church / Rural Rhythm
- When He Beckons Me Home / Darin & Brooke Aldridge / Live at Red, White & Bluegrass / Mountain Home
- Let Your Light Shine For Jesus / John Bowman / Family Chain - The Songs of Joe Isaacs / Pisgah
- Talk About Suffering / Tony Rice & Ricky Skaggs / Heaven Bound / Time Life
- On The Jericho Road / Tom Mindte & Jeremy Stephens / Radio Favorites & Sacred Songs / Patuxent
- Let My Feet Go Runnin' / Mickey Boles / Let My Feet Go Runnin' / Self-released
- Working On A Building / The Seldom Scene / Heaven Bound / Time Life
- Hear Jerusalem Mourn / Don Reno & Red Smiley / Early Years 1951-1959 / Gusto
- I Can't Sit Down / Wade & Julia Mainer / Heaven Bound 2 / Time Life
- We Shall Meet Someday / The Stanley Brothers / A Clinch Mountain Sunday Vol. 2 / Harmony
- Walking In A Dream / Fred Etheridge w.Nick Anderson, Mark Doyle / Pickin' and Singin' / Self-released