The first ten songs played on Sunday (not counting the "Katy Hill" opening) are all credited to the pen of one Alvin Pleasant (A.P.) Carter, who was born on December 15, 1891. Whether or not A.P. -- really, the driving force behind the Carter Family in the trio that included A.P.'s wife, Sara, and his sister-in-law, Maybelle, actually wrote all of the songs for which he is given songwriter credit, the fact is that the Carter Family remains as an incredible inspiration for a whole lot of performers. The songs that A.P. wrote or gathered in his travels around his southwestern Virginia home are a huge part of the history of country and Bluegrass music, and have been recorded many, many times through the years. It seemed only fitting to include a whole bunch of these songs in a radio show so close to what would have been A.P.'s 121st birthday.
By the way, if you're in search of reading material as we head toward the winter months, I suggest that you find a copy of a Carter biography published in 2002 by Simon & Schuster. The book's title is Will You Miss When I'm Gone?: The Carter Family And Their Legacy In American Music, and the authors are Mark Zwonitzer with Charles Hirshberg. If you're at all interested in American music, you really need to be familiar with this amazing family.
Of course, Christmas is rapidly approaching, and Sunday's show was my last BG Cafe before December 25th. Jim and I have both been playing some Christmas tunes since early December, but this week, more than a dozen Christmas songs and carols found their way onto the airwaves. Every year, it seems, there is more and more Bluegrass Christmas music available, including at least three new projects for 2012 from Sweet Potato Pie, Donna Ulisse, and an All-Star cast on Rural Rhythm Records. It's getting harder and harder to squeeze in all of the new songs and old seasonal favorites during the month of December, but we hope you enjoyed something you might have heard.
In addition to Carter Family songs and those Christmas tunes, there was music from several 2012 releases from performers including the aforementioned Sweet Potato Pie, Donna Ulisse, and Steve Gulley & Dale Ann Bradley, as well as Audie Blaylock & Redline from the Rural Rhythm Christmas record. There was also Freeman & Williams, Breaking Grass, Bob Amos, Danny Paisley & the Southern Grass, David Peterson, the Kathy Kallick Band, Darin & Brooke Aldridge, Karl Shiflett & Big Country Show, Jeff Parker, Chris Brashear, and the Spinney Brothers.
Jim joins you once more coming up from 4-7PM on Sunday, December 23rd -- be sure to tune in, won't you?
Best wishes to all for a very Merry Christmas!!
REQUESTS ARE RED.
- Katy Hill / Del McCoury Band / RockyGrass / Blue Planet
- Keep On The Sunny Side / Carter Family / Anchored In Love / Rounder
- No Depression / Johnson Mountain Boys / Goin' Up Copper Creek / Copper Creek
- Fifty Miles Of Elbow Room / Bear Bridge Band / Broken Hearts & Better Times / Open Road
- Will You Miss Me When I'm Gone / Carter Family / Anchored In Love / Rounder
- I Wonder How The Old Folks Are At Home / Mac Wiseman / High Lonesome / CMH
- Are You Tired Of Me, My Darlin' / Hot Rize / Traditional Ties / Sugar Hill
- My Dixie Darlin / Case Brothers / Radio Album / Self-Produced
- When Springtime Comes Again / Vern Williams Band / Bluegrass From The Gold Country / Rounder
- Today Has Been A Lonesome Day / Spinney Brothers / If I Were Your Brother / Self-Produced
- The Waves On The Sea / Everett Lilly / Everett Lilly & Everybody & Their Brother / Swift River Music
- Christmas Country Style / Sweet Potato Pie / Home Grown Christmas / Mountain Fever Records
- My Little Silver Bells / Bill Grant & Delia Bell / O Christmas Tree / Rounder
- Christmas Time Back Home / Country Gentlemen / Christmas Time's A-Comin' / Time Life
- Christmas Swing / Chesapeake / Tinsel Tunes / Sugar Hill
- Wrong Road Again / Freeman & Williams / Freeman & Williams / Mountain Roads Recordings
- Amongst The Stones / Breaking Grass / Running With The Moon / Self-Produced
- Hard Hearted / Jim & Jesse / In The Tradition / Rounder
- Where The Wild River Rolls / Bob Amos / Borrowed Time / Bristlecone
- Margie / Danny Paisley & the Southern Grass / Road Into Town / Patuxent Music
- I'm Old Kentucky Bound / David Peterson / Simplicity / Self-Produced
- Steppin' Stones / Paul Williams / A Tribute To Jimmy Martin / Koch Records
- She Put The Tears In My Eyes / Wayne Taylor & Appaloosa / It's Gonna Be A Beautiful Day! / Raincoe Music
- Thinkin' Of Home / Kathy Kallick Band / Time / Live Oak Records
- I Wish You Knew / Jim & Jesse / Bean Blossom / MCA
- I'll Love Nobody But You / Gibson Brothers / Help My Brother / Compass Records
- Blue Christmas / Larry Sparks / Christmas In The Mountains / Rebel
- Blue Christmas Lights / Chris Hillman & Herb Pedersen / Tinsel Tunes / Sugar Hill
- That's Just Me Loving You / Darin & Brooke Aldridge / Live At Red, White & Bluegrass / Mountain Home
- Frog On A Lilly Pad / Karl Shiflett & Big Country Show / Take Me Back / Pinecastle
- There Ain't No Easy Street / Steep Canyon Rangers / Deep In The Shade / Rebel
- Blue Moon Of Kentucky / Bill Monroe & His Blue Grass Boys / Grand Ole Opry Live Classics / Opry Music
- How Come You Do Me Like You Do / Jeff Parker / Go Parker! / Lonesome Day Records
- Let It Go / Missy Werner Band / Three Kinds Of Lonesome / Self-Produced
- Echo Mountain / James King / The Bluegrass Storyteller / Rounder
- Listen To Me Mother / Chris Brashear / Heart Of The Country / Dog Boy Records
- Cabin On A Mountain / Spinney Brothers / Memories / Mountain Fever Records
- Sleigh Ride / Sweet Potato Pie / Home Grown Bluegrass / Mountain Fever Records
- Christmas The Mountain Way / Steve Gulley & Dale Ann Bradley / Christmas The Mountain Way / Rural Rhythm
- Silent Night / Stony Point Quartet / Christmas Time Back Home / Cracker Barrel
- O Christmas Candle / Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver / Christmas Grass, Volume 2 / Koch Records
- When The Time Had Fully Come / Northern Lights / Can't Buy Your Way / Flying Fish
- Morning In Bethlehem / Donna Ulisse / All The Way To Bethlehem / Hadley Music Group
- Joy To The World / Audie Blaylock & Redline / Christmas The Mountain Way / Rural Rhythm
- The First Noel / Ricky Skaggs & the Whties / A Skaggs Family Christmas, Volume 2 / Skaggs Family
- Precious Child / Tony Trischka with Dudley Connell & James King / Glory Shone Around / Rounder
- Nothing But A Child / Robin & Linda Williams / Sugar Plums / Sugar Hill
- Beautiful Star Of Bethlehem / Ralph Stanley & the Clinch Mountain Boys / Christmas In The Mountains / Rebel
- Silent Night / Seldom Scene / Sugar Plums / Sugar Hill
- Jingle Bells / Reno & Smiley / Christmas Time's A-Comin' / Time Life