There were an unprecedented three sports-event preemptions during the Sunday schedule at WHUS -- always a possibility at a university radio station -- but we carried on with the 45 minutes remaining for Bluegrass Cafe anyway. It's all because we love the music that much!
Of the fourteen songs we were able to get on the air, the first eight were from the list of Grammy nominees that were on the verge of being announced as this show was on the air. Congratulations to Patty Loveless and Carolina Chocolate Drops for taking home the awards for Best Bluegrass Album and Best Traditional Folk Album respectively.
We also honored David McLaughlin and the late Charlie Moore on their birthdays by playing songs from The Johnson Mountain Boys and Charlie's album "Avery County."
(I will admit to a faux pas because I played a song that had Eddie D'Zmura on mandolin instead of David. This is because I associate David so closely with the song as it was performed on the old television show "Fire On The Mountain." That performance is thankfully preserved here --> "I Can Tell You The Time")
The remaining songs in the closing gospel set were all brand new music received in the past week or two, including music from Wildfire, The Gibson Brothers, Cody Shuler & Pine Mountain Railroad, and a new instrumental tribute to Bill Monroe from the folks at Rural Rhythm.
The Joe Val Bluegrass Festival takes place beginning Friday 2/18 in Framingham, MA, so be sure to tune in to "Bluegrass Cafe" on WHUS 91.7 FM on your Sunday drive back from the festival between 4 and 7 pm where Amy will be making the banjos and fiddles ring.
- Apple Blossom / Sam Bush / Circles Around Me / Sugar Hill
- Busted / Patty Loveless / Mountain Soul II / Saguaro Road
- Honey Hurry Home / The Del McCoury Band / Family Circle / McCoury Music
- The Family Demon / Peter Rowan / Legacy / Compass
- Guitars, Whiskey, Guns and Knives / The SteelDrivers / Reckless / Rounder
- Sandy Boys / Carolina Chocolate Drops / Genuine Negro Jig / Nonesuch
- M.I.S.I.P. / The John Hartford String Band / Memories of John / Compass
- Branded Wherever I Go / Ricky Skaggs / Solo: Songs My Dad Loved / Skaggs Family
- Streets of Baltimore / Charlie Moore / Avery County / Old Homestead
- I Can Tell You The Time / The Johnson Mountain Boys / Self-titled / Rounder (LP)
- When He Reached Down His Hand For Me / Wildfire / Crash Course In The Blues / Lonesome Day
- He Can Be Found / The Gibson Brothers / Help My Brother / Compass
- When My Savior Welcomes Me / Cody Shuler & Pine Mountain Railroad / Self-titled / Steeltown
- I Saw The Light / Various / Blue Moon Of Kentucky / Rural Rhythm